DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our condo building we have a cement walkway that has become damaged because of water from a downspout. We want to repair the walkway but we also want to fix the root cause of the problem: water.

One contractor suggested we divert the downspout. While this can be done by adding an extension, it may not look very attractive.

But another contractor suggested that we call a gutter company and have the downspout removed then have the gutter (which is one piece) made to only pitch toward the back of the building where there are two downspouts (right now half the gutter pitches towards the front of the building, while the other half pitches to the back of the building).

Could the downspout hole in the gutter be sealed or would we have to buy a whole new gutter?

Does this idea make sense? I'm just curious what others have to say.

I'm attaching some photos to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Could the downspout hole in the gutter be sealed or would we have to buy a whole new gutter?
Yes it could be sealed although it would be somewhat noticeable.
Remove the outlet, if there is one.
cut 2 pieces of coil stock slightly bigger than the hole. Bed the coil stock overlap in caulk. Do it on the inside and the outside then pop rivet them together. Then add more caulk on the inside piece around the seams. With a good quality caulk it won't leak for a while. A long while as long as the gutter is repitched so that is no longer a low point collection water.

Does this idea make sense?
Maybe. It depends on how much water comes off the roof in to the existing downspouts. If that downspout was "overkill" it won't be missed. If you needed all 3 downspouts to accommodate the water it will be missed. Its possible that increasing the existing downspouts AND outlets to a 3x4, assuming they are currently 2x3 could help alleviate the loss of a downspout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.