DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started my first project in my son's room, popcorn ceiling removal:vs_karate:

I've read/watch lots of videos on you tube that once the popcorn is sprayed and removed, the original drywall paper layer will show out and I suppose to see seam joints.

But after I've done, I can see any of the paper layer nor where the seem joints.

Is it because I sprayed too little water? or
I didn't wait long enough between spray and scrap? or
Maybe they originally applied drywall compound before they shoot popcorn on it?

the ceiling looks OK now, several spots need repairs
do I use drywall compound all over the ceiling or just where repairs needed?I guess I still need to sand the whole ceiling to as even/smooth as possible.

thoughts are really appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, is it a good idea to just do the repair with DAP, then sand the whole ceiling, prime and paint?

or repair with drywall compound then sand, prime and paint?

any difference?

·
Registered
431 Posts
So, is it a good idea to just do the repair with DAP, then sand the whole ceiling, prime and paint?

or repair with drywall compound then sand, prime and paint?

any difference?
I really like using "hot mud" for repairs. By that, I just mean the powder you mix that has a time rating - like EasySand 45, which means it sets up in 45 minutes instead of having to air dry overnight.

It usually takes me a couple of coats to get a repair smooth and this way, I don't have to space it out over days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.