DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how to repair this drain without redoing the entire shower pan floor? I was able to get to the cast iron and see what appears to be a metal ring holding down the shower pan seal. I am debating on taking the ring off but since the shower is 50 years old I'm afraid it may fall apart. Any high level recommendations?

Attached image shows about one inch of the shower pan mortar, the metal ring, and what appears to be some threads on the cast iron pipe and maybe even some lead at the base where the small cast iron pipe connects.

I'm not looking for a perfect solution. If I can get 5 more years out of it then I would consider it a success because eventually a complete redo of entire bathroom is needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do not bother it. It is fine. That is what was used when the plumbing was first installed. Why do you think you need to do anything to it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ideally I don't have to remove anything else. What do you think about this approach...

1) Get new pvc drain assembly and screw it into existing hole. The threaded portion looks like about 2.75" diameter and finished size is about 4". I see an Oatley brass 4" drain online that might work. There is still a lot of rust and mortar so it may not turn in correctly. WD-40?
2) Mix some new mortar and fill in around the new drain. I remember it is important for the mortar to be porous so water can get to drain holes. It will be really tight fit but maybe I can chisel out one small tile to give me a place to add the mortar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lead sounds scary but I bet it will last forever. I think if I remove the ring holding down the liner then I can cut a new pvc threaded section from a new drain assembly to fit. Hard to explain but the 4 holes on the old ring appear to line up with the threaded section of the pvc. If that works, I can screw in the top part with the drain plate. So basically I would reuse the base part of the old drain that is under the liner and use the rest from new assembly. The only problem is the threaded part is wider than 4 inches so I would have to cut the pvc diameter smaller to fit inside the tile hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to figure out the right way to replace the drain when there is already the ring screwed into the section under the liner. I suppose I could glue the pvc section with threads directly to the metal housing and not use the 4 screw holes that are currently used by the ring. Is there a glue for PVC to metal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The cast iron 2" pipe secured to the shower pan drain housing connected to the liner looks okay to me (no leaks). Because the original drain was almost completely rusted away except for the chrome cover on top I do not have a part to match for the replacement. The picture shows what I ended up with after removing the clumps of rust and broken shower bed mortar.

I am pretty sure I can fix it by cutting new pvc assembly so it fits in the 4" opening of the tile. The main question is how to secure it... either use the 4 screws currently holding the ring over the liner or use some kind of glue or cement to hold the pvc on the old metal housing.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Cut a piece of 3 inch pvc. Set it on the drain and add water plug around it. It will expand and hold it solid. Then insert a 3 inch strainer into the pipe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is probably stupid question but is "water plug" same thing as plumbers putty? I'm guessing it is something different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts