DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to remove a metal corner bead on the stairs leading to my basement -- due to damage -- and now I'm debating over the best way to repair the area. I purchased an extra-wide (1.75") plastic corner bead thinking I could cover the corner and lay on top of the existing/leftover mud, but now I'm thinking there will be too much space between the wall board and bead (see photo).

Would I be better of using a standard width bead and have it sit where the metal bead used to? Note the cut in at the top of the corner where the ceiling comes in. I would have to trim the 1.75" bead, while I think a standard width bead would fit in there without any modification.

Photos attached. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,548 Posts
Take a 6" spackle knife, turn it on edge, using it as a straight edge, place it from the corner bead of the proposed corner to about 6" over on the wall. If the knife fits solid and then there should be enough room to mud it, and feather it out. If the knife rocks, because your high on the back edge of the corner then it will not work. You will never get that corner good.

·
retired painter
9,928 Posts
The small gap behind the cornerbead is normal. I've never seen an issue when using steel cornerbead over gaps, haven't used enough plastic bead to know about it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I'm not convinced the plastic stuff is good. I've seen cracked ones.

I would go back with standard metal, the same size you took off. I would use a utility knife to trim some wall mud from the OS edges so that the new mud seam does not line up with the edge of the metal. Use Durabod for the first couple of coats and finish with sandable mud.

The trick to installing bead is don't force and twist it, nail it on opposing sides as you go. Don't beat the nails in or you will cause it to buckle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts