DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am trying to replace the filter in my GE smartwater GXWH08c and I for the life of me can't seem to get the housing off. I have turned off the water and used the pressure release button to remove the pressure from it. I have bough a strap wrench, and that isn't helping. I've tried to use WD-40 to loosed it up. Anyone else have any ideas / tricks / tips that I can try to remove the thing? Any ideas are definitely welcome, I'm at my wits end with it now.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
100% sure your turning it in the right direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I was finally able to remove it. Just took a little bit more elbow grease, and a buddy to to stabilize the plumbing around it, so that I could really apply pressure.

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
The problems of having a filter with out any kind of bracket for the head to be mounted to the wall with...

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
Vasoline?
That could most likely the worst idea yet.

There is some silicon out there that is safe with water use or find another o ring in a plastic bag and most likely there is a little tube of the silicon and it does not take much.

Vasoline will break down and make a real mess of the housing and get into the water.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My water filter did not come with a mounting bracket so I simply installed a 1/2" pine backerboard and secured the top filter housing with a metal strap.

Since we drink and cook with this water, I avoid using any type of synthetic petroleum or water-based lubricants. Instead, I simply use some olive oil to lubricate the gasket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts