DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - how would you approach removing this screw. It's one of the screws that holds on the brake disk on a Honda. The Philips tip on the impact wrench broke off when I was attempting to remove - the other three were easy.:smile: Try to drill out just the small piece so I can get another Philips on it? Drill out the whole screw? Appreciate any advice

Attachments

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HEAT!!!!!!!!!!! then soak with some break free.HEAT again...then use an impact driver and it should come out, just clean the broken tip out of the screw,,
Yeah, I should of hit it with the heat after it didn't budge after 4 whacks. The tip of the impact drivers Philips screw is wedged in there pretty good. I bet the broken tip is some hard material. The piece seems wedged in there pretty good.

· Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, I should of hit it with the heat after it didn't budge after 4 whacks. The tip of the impact drivers Philips screw is wedged in there pretty good. I bet the broken tip is some hard material. The piece seems wedged in there pretty good.
can you tap it out with like an ice pick or very sharp punch? heat it before trying, that will expand the metal alittle and could help

· Registered
37,499 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is no way to drill it if the tip of that bit is still in the hole, it would need to come out first.
If your lucky a dental pick or an awl may pop it out.
Woodchoppers suggest is the best so far them a tool like this should get it out.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...7BCifyFf55J5QW4uDCIycaAvYm8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
The tip of the bit is still in there. I was using an impact screw driver to get it out and the tip broke. I need to get that piece out otherwise I'm replacing the hub rather then just the disk. :surprise:Super hard drill bit, heat, PB blaster? I know what I'm doing today.

· Registered
129 Posts
The tip of the bit is still in there. I was using an impact screw driver to get it out and the tip broke. I need to get that piece out otherwise I'm replacing the hub rather then just the disk. :surprise:Super hard drill bit, heat, PB blaster? I know what I'm doing today.
one other method you can try, just for broken bolts in holes, heat the screw up and with a punch at the edge of the screw, use a hammer and try to tap the screw counter clockwise and see if it starts turning, rather than spinning it out from the center of the screw, the edge gives you more leverage in moving it..do you have a welder by chance?

· Registered
15,621 Posts
one other method you can try, just for broken bolts in holes, heat the screw up and with a punch at the edge of the screw, use a hammer and try to tap the screw counter clockwise and see if it starts turning, rather than spinning it out from the center of the screw, the edge gives you more leverage in moving it..
this ^

but don't use a punch. use a small sharp chisel.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one other method you can try, just for broken bolts in holes, heat the screw up and with a punch at the edge of the screw, use a hammer and try to tap the screw counter clockwise and see if it starts turning, rather than spinning it out from the center of the screw, the edge gives you more leverage in moving it..do you have a welder by chance?
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I just have a stick welder. One way or another I need to get the screw out. If I need to I'll get the hardest drill bit I can find and drill the whole thing out. Will tap new thread if needed.

· Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I just have a stick welder. One way or another I need to get the screw out. If I need to I'll get the hardest drill bit I can find and drill the whole thing out. Will tap new thread if needed.
best way, get a nut that the center is smaller than the diameter of the screw head, hold the nut with vise grips and burn a rod down the hole and weld the nut to the screw , then just use a socket on the nut and it will come out, use the same method if you break any bolts flush with whatever they are bolted into..

· Master General ReEngineer
10,527 Posts
Ayuh,..... Those screws are Unnecessary,....

Ya don't need to put 'em back in, they serve No purpose, at All,....

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey all - I wanted to loop back and let you know I got the screw out. I ended up cutting a slot with my metal cutter. I was able to get the impact driver on it and back it out. It took heat and PB Blaster but it finally broke loose. Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.