DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! Need to remove laminate backsplash

I'm giving my 80's kitchen a makeover before listing house for sale. Have already added large island with sink & granite countertop with expresso cabinets below. Almost finished painting original kitchen cabinets expresso to match. Hoped to remove existing kitchen laminate counters & backsplash and have granite counters & new tile backsplash installed but, must cut budget. To save $$$ decided to paint laminate countertops; intall glass tile backsplash to compliment island. I have run into a "roadblock": HOW TO SEPARATE & REMOVE THE LAMINATE BACKSPLASH?The laminate curves upward from countertop to backsplash area and on to bottom edge of cabinets above counters; is one continual sheet; has no break or seam. I don't know where to cut it and how to remove just the laminate backsplash. I assume I will be adding some type of trim between the laminate countertop edge and new glass tile backsplash. ANY EASY, DIY SUGGESTIONS TO CUT & REMOVE?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
You may end up with a mess----

Cutting off the back splash portion will cause the counter top to sag---I really think you will wreck the top---the back splash is the support for the back edge---

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
If I was looking to buy a house and saw the laminite tops had been painted I'd take the price of new tops right off the asking price.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'd just leave the countertop alone. Lots of people (myself included) buy houses knowing they are going to remodel them. So why spend your money on such a trivial thing? Besides, many people don't care for the latest trendy glass tile look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts