DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honeywell Vista 20-P (could be a 15-P) Ademco Security System; installed in 2005 by the previous homeowner. The hard-wired smoke detector portion of this system has eight 3-wire smoke detectors (sadly the owners/installation manual only addresses 2-wire & 4-wire setups). As far into the ceiling as I can probe, there are only 3 wires to my detectors.

My dilemma is this: If I remove one of the smoke detectors from this system, how do I rewire or "jumper" the control panel to accommodate the missing detector? Or, do I need to? Honeywell Home was of no help; they passed me off to the locals, but they require a service call ($$).

I jumpered one zone on the panel when we removed & walled-in a door; that was fairly straightforward, but the smoke detector is more puzzling. Can I remove it and forget it? As a check, I disconnected one detector; left wires hanging...and, so far, no impact; everything seems to work as normal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a Honeywell Vista 20-P (could be a 15-P) Ademco Security System; installed in 2005 by the previous homeowner. The hard-wired smoke detector portion of this system has eight 3-wire smoke detectors (sadly the owners/installation manual only addresses 2-wire & 4-wire setups). As far into the ceiling as I can probe, there are only 3 wires to my detectors.

My dilemma is this: If I remove one of the smoke detectors from this system, how do I rewire or "jumper" the control panel to accommodate the missing detector? Or, do I need to? Honeywell Home was of no help; they passed me off to the locals, but they require a service call ($$).

I jumpered one zone on the panel when we removed & walled-in a door; that was fairly straightforward, but the smoke detector is more puzzling. Can I remove it and forget it? As a check, I disconnected one detector; left wires hanging...and, so far, no impact; everything seems to work as normal.
The smoke detector should be wired in parallel. One wire is power, one is neutral, one is a "alarm" wire that communicates between them. As long as you maintain the wire and neutral passing through the box the other wire can just be wire nutted open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.