DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, I had quartz counters installed in my kitchen and the installer left my old granite counter. They were supposed to take it away but it was too heavy and they left it leaning against my dining room wall.
I am on a 4th floor of a condo building, the granite is 4x8 x 1.25 thick. It is too big and too heavy to carry out, so I am wondering how do I break or cut in in half or thirds so I can remove it? I am not worried about mess.
I have tried calling other installers and no one wants to take on the work.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it is in good condition, I would advertise it in the paper or somewhere inexpensive. You should be able to sell it for 2 or 3 hundred bucks. Tell them to bring friends to carry it out. ( I assume it fits in the elevator since it made its way into your house.) If not, get some safety glasses and a hammer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A big hammer. Aim for veins. You can also use a cold chisel to make lines sectioning it off, then smack it hard on those lines. Put down a large drop cloth first, there's going to be lots of little pieces and they will scratch your floor and ruin a vacuum cleaner.

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Wait, 4x8 granite, don't break it up! ... I'll take it off your hands. Where are you located?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts