DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to figure out how to remove this floating shelf from wall. I don't see any areas where screws were attached on the top and the bottom. My basic impression is that you're supposed to pull away from the wall and then there's some form of attachment method that is exposed. It's not a 'french' cleat, for sure. And the shelf actually wiggles away from the wall for about a 1/2 inch before stopping suddenly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
63,495 Posts
It looks like a fireplace mantle, they usually have a 2x4 or 2x6 nailed to the wall, then the mantle is slipped over that and nailed with small finish nails.

Not sure why you would get 1/2" of movement.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PHP:
It looks like a fireplace mantle, they usually have a 2x4 or 2x6 nailed to the wall, then the mantle is slipped over that and nailed with small finish nails.

Not sure why you would get 1/2" of movement.
no wood pieces behind. I get the feeling when pulling on it that there are two bars or attachment pieces running through it. i'll try to find the attachment pieces/screws one more time.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,393 Posts
Is there a closet, on the other side of that wall?

Maybe the installer, screwed directly into that shelf, from the other side of the wall, and it is now loose.

Otherwise, there has to be something on this side to release it.

ED

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's a prefab shelf like the ones I have, there are just 2 holes in back with a partial slot (keyhole like). It is just hung off of two screws. So push up, then pull out.

And the winner is ^^^^^^^. Just lifted up and then out, grudgingly, but it did come out. Keyhole brackets on back and screws were about a 1/2 out from wall. Thanks all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.