DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to remove a metal fireplace installed in front of the original fireplace in my living room. I'm wondering if I can just cut the chimney pipe at the ceiling and patch the hole in the ceiling without removing the entire chimney and patching the roof.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Are you thinking that when the unit is removed that there will be an original masonry fireplace behind it (ie. that this is an retrofitted insert)? We don’t see indication of that in the photos.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I'm hoping so and plan to investigate before removal. There is still brick directly behind the wallboard at the back of that space (photo below) so I'm assuming that the opening at least is still there--unless they closed it off with brick, which doesn't seem likely to me.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I might be misinterpreting your description (a sketch would be useful), but if you’re saying that the right side brick in your latest photo is the back side of an old wood-burning masonry fireplace (with firebrick, etc. on the other side), that is unlikely for a modern house, just because of the wood framing that is in direct contact with it. That wouldn't be legal nowadays. How old is the house?

Chris

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You didn't mention in your original post that you were hoping to put it into use if you found an original fireplace behind the insert. If you want to do that you'll need to bring in people to check out the chimney, etc., to ensure that this can be done safely. This will turn into a significant project (DIY or not).

There isn't any evidence of charring on the wood visible in the latest photo, so there may be other things between the brick and the fireplace, like an airspace. Again, much investigation is required.

Chris

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes you can cut off the metal pipe at or above the ceiling height and leave the existing metal flew in without disturbing the roof I would close off the bottom of the flu with some sort of cap so that you don’t get a natural draft taking good air out of the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts