DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just laid white carrera marble tile in my foyer--it turned out wonderful and looks great!

There is only one issue--in the middle of the floor there is one tile that sticks out like a sore thumb. It has a stripe across it, is a darker color, etc. Everyone notices it. Obviously it would have been best if I had thrown it out earlier but it is done now. I can't be happy with the job until that tile is replaced. I have NOT grouted the floor yet.

How do I safely remove that tile without destroying too much or disturbing the fixation of the surrounding tiles? I am guessing I just hit it with a hammer to crack the tile and then scrape the thinset out back down to the Ditra. Any tips/do's/do not's for removing a single tile?

Thanks for the help!

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
What Mike said........... but first I would cut the Ditra at the edge so that when you pry you do not pull up the surrounding Ditra and tiles too.

Jaz

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. So, do I just take a utility knife and cut around the 4 sides of the tile, trying to get down to the Ditra so if it starts to pull up it isn't connected?

Assuming the Ditra comes up with the tile, should I put a new piece of Ditra down before laying the tile or just lay that tile with no Ditra beneath?

Thanks!

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So, do I just take a utility knife and cut around the 4 sides of the tile, trying to get down to the Ditra so if it starts to pull up it isn't connected?
Exactomundo!:thumbsup:

The Ditra may just loosen a bit or not at all. Replace it if it comes loose anywhere.

Jaz

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so after dreading doing this I finally bit the bullet and removed this one tile tonight. It went very well! I did a good job laying it because there was 100% coverage and I had to split it into a million pieces to get it up. I hit it 20 times before it even cracked!

Pictures are attached of what I am left with. My questions now are:

1) Do i have to remove this Ditra? It appears to be solid as a rock so I was going to leave it but worry I have disturbed the bone. The tile came up first and then I had to break up and remove the thinset so the Ditra should be intact.

2) What do I do with the little Tuscan Leveling System bases? I can cut or remove them but worry about destabilizing the adjacent tiles. I can leave them and use them as a guide where the new tile should sit. Suggestions?

3) When I put down the new tile I have to get the right amount of thinset because I'm sure if I set it and it is too high it would be miserable trying to get the tile back up to remove some thinset. So, should I:
A) Comb thinset on the Ditra like normal?
B) Cover the waffles in the Ditra and comb thinset on the back of the tile?
C) Use the Tuscan Leveling Strips as a guide and build up a flat "bed" of thinset to that level, back butter the tile, and lay it on the bed?

I want to make sure I get good coverage and no air pockets but also want to make sure I don't end up with this tile being higher than those around it. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Dry lay it and see how it looks. Then.......Go ahead and do it already!

Jaz

·
Jello Wrangler
495 Posts
I have never cut the Dirta out. If it was installed properly the tile will break it's bound with the thinset before the Ditra breaks it's bound with the substrate.

Leave the Ditra and tile away.

You may be able to pry the Tuscan clips out. I do it all of the time with RLS clips. I then clean it out a bit with a OMT (Oscillating Multi-Tool) and stick another clip in.

If you can't pry them out, but them out. It will make getting the tile on the same level as the others much easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.