DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I would like to do:

My shed is about 100' from my house and I would like to be able to turn the outside light on from the house.... without digging a trench and running a wire.

Are there any products out there that would allow me to do this? I did see a few on line but most of them seemed too cheap to be reliable and almost all of them had terrible reviews.

Any info would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,445 Posts
X-10 remotes with a key fob to turn the lights on and off.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have been using X-10 for many years with good success.

I currently use X-10 wireless remote to turn on my pool light, a fountain, and backyard lighting. The wireless receiver / X-10 controller is physically located in the house - the handheld wireless remote is typically located in the house or on the back patio. X-10 modules are located at each controlled device.

You don't need to do the wireless X-10 for your application, a table top or other controller unit would do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

100 feet isn't a problem? It's wide open yard right from the back deck to the shed.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
X-10 provides signaling over the power lines - as long as the shed with power module and house with controller are on the same breaker box, it should work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm guessing you have found a solution by now, but for anyone else that stumbles across this, check out Insteon. I'm using their stuff all over my house, and love it.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
X-10 provides signaling over the power lines - as long as the shed with power module and house with controller are on the same breaker box, it should work.
The same breaker box does not matter, as long as they are both fed from the same utility transformer it will work, but x10 technology is unrealible and just plain garbage in my eyes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm guessing you have found a solution by now, but for anyone else that stumbles across this, check out Insteon. I'm using their stuff all over my house, and love it.
Has it gotten better. I jump in back in 2005 when it was released. Had failures every week. Pulled 70+ devices out and went with Lutron.

X10 is complete garbage, stay away from it, use Lutron Wireless Pico switches.
+1.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
:eek: I've used it for 15+ years...never had a problem that wasn't my programming error.
The stuff is pure junk... it gets interference all the time, any electronic transformer will block the signal, did I mention that it's junk? :) The Relays get taken out constantly by surges and lightning....Its slow to turn on loads, the list goes on.

Time to sell a real product. :) Try Lutron, then tell me how great X10 is... Radio shack sells X10... that itself should be a clue. ;)

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I only install Radio Ra 2, it is a truly amazing product... and I'm constantly upgrading existing 'smart homes' with Lutron.
It's also amazingly expensive! IMO way too expensive for the average home. Insteon is well within the reach though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts