DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, There is 4-foot round hole in my basement floor patched with cement. I'm hoping someone can confirm that this is what's left of an old coal furnace. (I did find a chunk of coal there when I dug down). Unfortunately it's right where I need to put a jack-post. The center of the patch sounds hollow. I wanted to know what I could expect to find under there (such as a big hole or a foot of cement), and if indeed this looks like a coal furnace remnant and not a well or something worse. Since the patch is so thin I have to either dig down to make a little footing for my post or go to a plan B that involves not disturbing this area. There was an approx 3'x3' hole in the 1st floor at one time on the other half of the basement (gravity return?) and evidence of a coal bin. Someone familiar with the house thinks the coal furnace was on the other side of the basement where the current gas furnace is but it's hard to say. Any info would be a big help.

Thanks,

Henry

Attachments

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
No clue why a coal fired boiler would have anything to do with this hole.
Just some guesses, there was a leaking drain line and someone replaced it.
Basement was flooding so they installed a drain tile.

Reactions: pennsyhenry

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Do some digging----and be careful---abandoned cisterns are fairly common is old houses---you may find a big hole under there---see if you find brick---

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just went deep enough to uncover a second course of bricks, it looks like they're following the circle so it's probably a cistern. I guess they threw some old coal and rocks down there to fill it up and slathered on an inch of cement. Apologies for posting this on the HVAC forum, I thought maybe this was where an octopus furnace or some other scary old heating contraption was. This is my first experience with a pre-WW2 house (this one is mid 1920s to 1930) so to say I'm learning a lot is an understatement. I guess Plan B is now Plan A and I will have to avoid this spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.