DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to relocate some switches and power outlets in my master bathroom….For example moving left or right, approx 5ft max
What is the best way? Should I cut horizontal “trenches” in the drywall, run the cables and then repatch?
Walls will be repainted anyway

Thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You need to remove the drywall and drill through the studs. Notching the studs deep enough to run the wire through and then covering with a nailing plate maybe acceptable. You will then need to repair the drywall . Notching out the drywall and taping over is not the way to do it and would not meet any kind of code and subjects the wire to damage

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
May be more to this then your thinking.
How is there going to be enough slack in the wires to move it that far?

Reactions: ZZZZZ

·
Registered
589 Posts
if you have access to the area underneath (basement?), or directly above (attic?) you may see where the feed wires entered that box area. maybe you have the access there to make the change happen.

you may have to pull longer wires for the new location of your boxes. the junction boxes for those wire "extensions" have to be accessible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.