DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I understand. I'll either forget about taking the lolly column out or call an engineer. Contractors that have done some of this work in the past have told me to put up 2 plates on each side but I know how that goes. You have a car noise and everybody has an answer to what it is, without asking the qualifying questions. Again, I appreciate and welcome all input. Thank you.
We're not on here to beat people up, just to provide them with the proper guidance. Sometimes its not what you want to hear, but what you need to hear.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Residential Designer
1,483 Posts
Engineers, Architects and designers take a on a lot of liability for the money they charge.

Especially engineers and they are worth the money.

They will mathematically justify the design they come up with.

Andy.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
When you discuss this project with your engineer, you should allow them the flexibility to examine a variety of alternatives besides the external flitch plate concept you proposed. There are several other potential ways to strengthen the beam, and you should certainly consider replacing the beam with a properly sized one to carry the entire load. Your engineer should be afforded the flexibility to look at every reasonable alternative, and select the most cost effective one for your circumstance.

If you plan to do the work yourself, that would figure into the decision about which option to select. Since cost appears to be a major factor in your approach, you should definitely make a point of informing any potential engineer you may want to hire what your expectations are (you want a written design, you want stamped plans, you want the engineer to meet with the building inspector to obtain a permit etc.), and the maximum you are willing to spend. No point wasting the engineer's time making a site visit to your place if their typical fee exceeds your allowable budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok. Well I hired an engineer who charged me $700 but what he came up with is. (2) steel plates 3/8"x9"x 13' bolted to the outside of my current beam which currently consists of (3) 2x10's. I have attached some pictures of the print provided to me. Maybe it can help someone else in the same type of situation.

The only thing in question is that I spoke to a couple other engineers who have suggested staggering the top bolt holes from the bottom bolt holes. I know there are some engineers here and contractors that have done this. any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Framing Contractor
1,451 Posts
Keep the bolts just like he shows. That bolt layout is part of the engineering. We have seen it called out both ways. That is money well spent. Glad to see that someone took good advice here, spent some money, and will sleep very very well.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup: two big thumbs up Albertom!

thank you for posting back, keep us updated after its completed.

Install the bolts as shown, if you change anything on the drawing then any issues are on you and not your engineer!

Good luck!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts