DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning to set a 3.5' deep foundation footer for a small 10 x 12 ft storage shed. do you all think i should reinforce it with a simple rebar coral-like structure (vertical posts in corners connected by two levels of horizontal beams, one near the bottom, one near the top) or would that be an overkill ?

thanks.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Why 3.5' deep?
Is it attached to the house?

I put in a 12" cement "foundation" all the way around - no rebar
Then I added on to my shed, 10 x 22 now
The only reason I did 12" is to keep mice out
I'm filling with gravel/rocl/sand & putting pavers in
Its a pool cabana & I may need to get to the pipes

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,980 Posts
for a small 10 x 12 ft storage shed.
Ayuh,... A 3, 1/2' foundation sounds alittle Overkill for a 10 x 12 ain't it,..??

I'm doing an 8, 1/2' x 11, 1/2'er pinned thru p/t 2x4s, on compacted limestone....

A floating slab would provide Alot of support,+ stability...

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,890 Posts
I take it your going this deep due to grade issues. Either way, 1/2" rebar grid on 2 foot centers each way (imagine 2' squares between rods) is well worth the money. :thumbup:

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
You didn't say where you are, so I assume you're going deep to get below frost line. No matter, re-bar is overkill in a small shed footer as long as it's on undisturbed earth. It's not like you're going to have any great point loads on the foundation. A lot of houses don't even have re-bar in the footers.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
washington DC, i am doing 3.5 ft because the frost line is like 3 ft although there is the global warming effect too. i do not want a floating slab because there will be water and power coming into it.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
You don't really need 3.5' footer on a detached shed of that size

I have pool pipes going in & out of my pool cabana as well as a solar heating setup. I've never had a problem

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Mines only 12" deep - and that was simply to prevent mice from getting in. Also to prevent rot & match the existing 10x12 shed

My pipes are buried maybe 24" deep
They do come up inside the shed
Install a drain valve so you can drain the water in the winter
Some people blow out the water in the lines
Mine stay full of water about level with the ground

1 - 9 of 9 Posts