DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a shoe rack for the wife... I'm using some leftover treated deck board to make it. I've several cans of leftover latex paint laying around the house... I'm curious if I can use regular latex paint on this? What do you think??

Thanks!

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
I personally would not race to bring chemically and/or pressure treated lumber into my closet or any other interior living space. The treatment is really not intended to be inside of drywall where it can outgas and so forth. And it could all concentrate in an enclosed closet? Remember the purpose of the treatment is to repel and kill stuff with no intelligence or specific targets in mind.

I guess if it has been sitting for at least a year you could prime it with a good Zinser primer/sealer and then put two coats of nice finish on it. If it is new? You really should leave it out in the garage for a bit.

You cannot just apply paint, without a primer, and expect it to stick to the wood (treated or not)---maybe to your wife's shoes though. And wait until you can assure her, "Honey! Your shoes will never have termites and we don't have to shake the bed bugs and cockroaches out of our clothes anymore! Yeah I know our clothes smell a bit chemical but look at those pretty shoes all lined up!"

(Have bling, chocolate, and stockings handy if this pitch does not work! Liquor her up with a decent bottle of champagne if that fails!):laughing:

If these things are not already constructed? I would make her some out of non-treated lumber. Here is one piece on the use of treated lumber indoors:

Indoor Use of Treated Wood
Pentachlorophenol treated wood should not be used in residential, industrial or commercial building interiors, except in laminated beams or building components that contact the ground and are subject to decay or insect infestation. When used for such purposes, pentachlorophenol treated wood must be covered with two coats of an appropriate sealer such as urethane, shellac, latex epoxy enamel or varnish.

The EPA has advised that creosote treated wood should not be used in residential building interiors. Creosote treated wood in interiors of industrial buildings should be used only for wood block flooring and for industrial building components that contact the soil and are subject ot decay or insect infestation. Such industrial application is acceptable, provided that two coats of an appropriate sealer are applied. For creosote treated wood block floaring, coal tar pitch and coal tar pitch emulsion are effective sealers. Urethane, epoxy and shellac are appropriate sealers for creosote treated wood when used other than as wood block flooring It is believed that limited interior uses of appropriately sealed pentachlorophenol and creosote treated wood will not cause unreasonable adverse effects to humans or the environment.

EPA has not advised against the interior use of arsenical treated wood because the arsenic air levels measured in homes constructed with this type of treated wood are not significantly different from background arsenic air levels when dust has been vacuumed from the wood surface. Therefore, wood that is pressure-treated with water-borned arsenical preservations may be used inside residences wtihout a sealer, providing that all machined sawdust is vacuumed from the wood surface.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
I am Scottish enough that I never toss a decent stick of wood. But you aren't doing yourself any favors with your recycling plan.

Save the pressure treated for a flower box and buy some shelf board at your local bug box store. It's cheap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shoe rack is for all of the shoes that collect in the garage at the garage entrance to the house... definitely not necessary to use treated, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

I've got some old solid-color deck stain laying around too... maybe I'll just throw some of that on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts