DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m finalizing all of my dimensions for my new walk in shower measurements and have run into a slight problem. I’m planning to end the Schluter shower pan at 33 inches on the measuring tape, and have the shower curb extend out to about 39 inches. I will install the tile threshold along the wall and will end the tile at 39 inches as well. The hinge for the shower door I am planning to install at 34 1/4 inch and will end at 35 inches (.75 inches wide).

As you can see, the register is interfering with the hypothetical tile, but it is trapped between 2 studs on either side. I’m planning to make a notch in the tile around the register, but it will look bad for the tile to be thicker than the register in my opinion. The tile with the mortar behind it will probably be about 3/4 inch. The duct opening measurements are 10x6.5, although the inside of the ductwork has a slot that all of the air is coming out of that’s smaller (picture below) at 7.5 x 3 inches. A couple of questions..

1. Can this register be reduced in size or does it need to stay 10x6?

2. The best option I’ve come up with to make this area look decent is using a thick baseboard register since it will be the same depth or deeper than the tile. Are there any better options for making this area look good? Basically I don’t want the tile that I notch out for the register to be thicker than the register itself (same idea as with baseboards). Also I don’t really know if I can move the register since it’s trapped between the 2 studs.

I am ripping out this drywall BTW.

·
retired framer
42,879 Posts
I’m finalizing all of my dimensions for my new walk in shower measurements and have run into a slight problem. I’m planning to end the Schluter shower pan at 33 inches on the measuring tape, and have the shower curb extend out to about 39 inches. I will install the tile threshold along the wall and will end the tile at 39 inches as well. The hinge for the shower door I am planning to install at 34 1/4 inch and will end at 35 inches (.75 inches wide).

As you can see, the register is interfering with the hypothetical tile, but it is trapped between 2 studs on either side. I’m planning to make a notch in the tile around the register, but it will look bad for the tile to be thicker than the register in my opinion. The tile with the mortar behind it will probably be about 3/4 inch. The duct opening measurements are 10x6.5, although the inside of the ductwork has a slot that all of the air is coming out of that’s smaller (picture below) at 7.5 x 3 inches. A couple of questions..

1. Can this register be reduced in size or does it need to stay 10x6?

2. The best option I’ve come up with to make this area look decent is using a thick baseboard register since it will be the same depth or deeper than the tile. Are there any better options for making this area look good? Basically I don’t want the tile that I notch out for the register to be thicker than the register itself (same idea as with baseboards). Also I don’t really know if I can move the register since it’s trapped between the 2 studs.

I am ripping out this drywall BTW.
Just move it over one bay, is that a load bearing wall?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it’s a load bearing wall. I just opened up the wall and this is what it looks like. Electrical wire the bay over and then the door after that one, so I don’t think I’ll be able to move it unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if this duct opening can be reduced from a 10x6 to an 8x6 since the oval is only 7.5 x 3?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it’s a load bearing wall. I just opened up the wall and this is what it looks like. Electrical wire the bay over and then the door after that one, so I don’t think I’ll be able to move it unfortunately.

View attachment 643881
You could move it to a floor register under your vanity. I had floor registers in bathroom. When I remodeled them I move them to under the vanity an then you cut a vent into the toekick. Much better look

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nealtw, that seems like the best solution so far. What about replacing the duct with this? It’s just 8x6 instead of 10x6. Would there be a any issues with reducing in size for a supply vent?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Going from 10x6 to 8x6 is only gonna move the left edge of the register rightward one inch...is that gonna be enough to solve your problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts