DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
why after power outage my Ge refrigerator not cooling properly

Not good.. could be fuse in line with the compressor. Hopefully your compressor didn't die because than you'll probably need a new refrigerator. Compressors are generally as much to fix as it would be to get a new fridge. Might to want to call a sears repair service center. For about $80.00 they will come out and do a through inspection and tell you what it will cost to fix. You might not like what it will cost but if it's something minor they will find it and can fix it. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Power failures and on and off of power can be a real issue.
This on and of actions is really hard on relays,overload devices on compressors. Sometimes it can cause overloads relays to over heat,contacts to burn and prevent them from coming back on or from functioning properly. Its a common issue with many of the new refrigerators.
With today appliances you really can't just make a judgement call on what is the real problem without proper testing. They have defrost timers,thermostats,overload relays,fans,defrost coils,start and run capacitors and anyone of those things can keep the refrigerator,compressor from functioning properly. I doubt it is a serious problem.
It will be costly. Repairmen are not cheap.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before you call the repairman check to see if it's still under warranty. Some of these units have a 1-2 year warranty. If it's been longer than that your probably out of luck. I would still call the factory 800# and ask them about any quick fixes. This is all the stuff that I did. I just had this same issue. Moved a very nice $800 fridge cross country, plugged it in when i got my new house and low and behold compressor didn't run. Sears came out and tested everything for $80.00 but found it would cost about $450.00 to fix. Not worth it. Just went and bought a nicer new fridge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.