DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inside the door of my refrigerator (a top freezer model), the plastic surface just above the shelves is constantly wet these days. My house is air conditioned and my inside humidity is under control. Yet the inside of the door has a lot of condensation all of the time.

The fridge is an older model GE that works very well in all other respects. The picture doesn't really show the water droplets but it does show where I'm talking about.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QpYIbBmwtIM4_A5jwxm7KHioP3zarzxV/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Sorry, got that far and my keyboard died so couldn’t finish. To continue, first thing I would check is that there are no obstructions such as an oversize container or something that is preventing the door from closing all the way. After that clean the seal real good, just not anything too abrasive. Then take a piece of paper, or some people use a dollar bill, place it on the seal and close the door. You should have resistance pulling the paper out. Do that all the way around the seal. If you have no resistance the seal needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Don’t know your model number but there should be a mullion heater between the two if it’s an older refrigerator. Does it have an energy saver switch? If that switch is on, your heater is off. Then it will sweat. Unless you just have a bad heater

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, BayouRunner! I think we have a winner. I have an Amana TN21V2L refrigerator and I just looked up that very feature in the owner's manual, which I found online at http://www.youserguide.com/wiki/Whirlpool_10937046-008 .

I found there is an "exterior moisture control" that was set on "off". The manual advised me to turn it on if moisture was evident around the door. I just did and I guess I'll see in the morning if it did the trick.

Either way, I will report back so you can have the satisfaction of knowing you were right or not. My guess is you've nailed it. Film at 11.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Since activating the exterior moisture control, my issue has completely resolved! No more wet door.

A huge thank you to BayouRunner, who absolutely nailed this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.