DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a scratch n dent refrigerater. Apparently the handle on the freezer had been bumped hard. One day the handle broke. I noticed that the hole where the screw holds the handle on was damaged. I got a new handle, but if i put the screw in, it is going in at an angle. I'm afraid the new door handle will break again if I don't somehow fill in the hole and make a new one so the screw goes in straight. any suggestions what I can use to do this?

·
Hammered Thumb
4,172 Posts
I'm used to seeing just sheetmetal over the foam insulation, so it's only held with the sheetmetal. If it's loose, I use a bigger screw, like going from a #8 to a 10 or 12, and it can be straightened too. Sounds like yours is solid, because if it was loose the handle probably would have a little play rather than break.

·
Naildriver
18,543 Posts
You could buy a longer Grade 8 bolt of the same size, insert it a few threads in the hole, and use pliers or something similar to bring the bolt to the right position. The reason for the stronger, longer bolt is that the cheap bolt provided would probably break while doing that.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
No pics is not helpful to diagnosing the issue. I'm picturing some thin sheet metal where the hole has been hogged out and possibly twisted by the impact? If so, flatten it out and use a washer. Done. If the receiving threads are damaged, upsize the screw. If by "screw" you really mean "bolt" or "machine screw" let us know.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
So the screw goes in from the outside?

Try putting the new handle on. Really, if the screw goes in readily, I wouldn't worry about it. More likely, the old handle broke because it got "hit hard", as mentioned in the original post. If the handle does not sit properly because of the bent sheet metal you might have to tap it flat, or put the screw in and bend in the opposite direction. Or maybe fill the divot with a touch of epoxy to give the handle a level surface to sit on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.