DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
thanks, i wonder why they have such good reviews over window shakers?

for what i will use these for that is just to much to pay. so i may wind up taking a crap shoot on a less expensive uint or just forget that. bubbles did not show a thing. on the ends of the coils that is why in the other thread i was leaning on the leak if it has one to be in the evap along the lower runs. but my buddy doesn't have those tool as i said they were company tools and he took his and left. he may just change out the evap fo me this spring but he likes the minis also. like i say some lie them and some don't thanks

The bargain basic DIY version minisplits with precharged lines and quick connect fittings are about equal to window shakers. They are meant to be disposable as well as they don’t come with much or even any product support. So when it breaks you throw it away. As you can’t really buy parts anyway. They normally last 5-10 years. Or about as long as a window unit.
And you don’t plug these units into a household outlet. As we discussed before. Even the tiny 115V models require a dedicated circuit. And they don’t do very large of an area. The larger units need a dedicated 208/230V circuit.
Taking a crap shoot as you say, you may find a dishonest tech selling his old worn out leak detectors that don’t work very well and he’s looking to try and cover the cost of a new one. Leak detectors are test instruments. Test instruments need calibration. Some have easily replaceable sensors and batteries. Some require you to send the unit back to the manufacturer. Some aren’t able to be calibrated at all and just don’t work anymore. But unless you test it, you don’t know if it works or not when you use it.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
yes your correct and that is what i figured. but it may just buy her time to save for a central system. as we talked before so because this one is old i have nothing now to lose but a few dollars to give it a try and toss in some ac leak freeze and some r22 and see how it goes. because i can't get a good idea on what is a good homeowners type leak detector and this unit may or not be toast. if it gets a year were good if it smokes tomorrow well it is broke now. so next spring i will recharge it will r22 and some leak sealer and see how it goes. it is not hat enough anymore in mi. to bother with it and if it fails it fails and then it will be window shakers or a mini split. i will try to return next year and let you know how it went. thanks for the help everyone.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.