DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refridgerator Loses Power until unplugged and plugged back in.

It will lose power, then I will unplug it and plug it back in and it will come back on, and stay on anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months. Then the power will be off, and I will need to reset it again.

Is this likely someone with the fridge, or something with the outlet?

Could it be the ice maker?

·
Super Moderator
6,396 Posts
it could be the main board on the fridge. Is the outlet a gfci outlet?? When icemaker turns on, is this when you lose the power??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it could be the main board on the fridge. Is the outlet a gfci outlet?? When icemaker turns on, is this when you lose the power??
Its a regular outlet, non-gfci, should I replace it with a gfci?

When icemaker turns on, is this when you lose the power??
>>I don't think so, the ice maker seems to work fine while its running. If it is, its not every time it turns on.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
When it quits working, does the light still work?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you have eliminated the possibility of a loose connection at the wall receptacle, then it's either a failed control board or the board has detected some error that warrants a shut down.

Since there is no standard for refrigerator control boards, we need the make and model of your unit to see if we can find a schematic and possibly an owners manual to determine if you may need a new board or correct some other intermittent problem.

Have you checked the condenser coils and fan(if used) to make sure they are allowing full air flow to the coils. Usually you can access that area by pulling the front toe kick off and removing any drip pan that is in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have eliminated the possibility of a loose connection at the wall receptacle, then it's either a failed control board or the board has detected some error that warranty a shut down.

Since there is no standard for refrigerator control boards, we need the make and model of your unit to see if we can find a schematic and possibly an owners manual to determine if you may need a new board or correct some other intermittent problem.

Have you checked the condenser coils and fan(if used) to make sure they are allowing full air flow to the coils. Usually you can access that area by pulling the front toe kick off and removing any drip pan that is in there.
Actually the plug was loose, I pushed in the prongs to make it tighter, this last time. Could that have been it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts