DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought my first home in August and I've decided to try and do most of my home repairs myself. So I'll be here quite a bit asking for advice.

My house has the hvac duct work in the basement void of any insulation. It's looks like there is some kind of brown paper material pasted and wrapped all around the ducts, which is painted white (I think it's paint). Also, the heat doesn't feel as warm as I think it should be once it enters the rooms. As a result, I'd like to insulate the ducts hoping to get better heating for my home.

My question is would reflective duct wrap or fiberglass wrap be more effective in getting better heating for the home, or would it be the same? Thanks.

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
How old is this house?
What your discribing sounds like it just might be asbestos insulation that's been wraped to seal it.
Got a picture?

·
Exterior Construction
29,581 Posts
How old is this house?
What your discribing sounds like it just might be asbestos insulation that's been wraped to seal it.
Got a picture?
Good catch Joe.

If it is TSI (Thermal Systems Insulation), do not touch it.

It needs to be abated by a qualified contractor and is very dangerous.

·
Registered
149 Posts
get it tested but it looks like mastic and paint. Looks way to thin to be TSI, however it may mean a poor contractor removed it and painted it to make it look finished instead of doing it right.

If it is not TSI, then use fiberglass, I would use denim, insulation over reflective. Ensure Vapor barrier is the right direction. Reflective requires air space between the meal duct and the insulation to get full R-value, not to mention costs more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts