DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
DrHicks said:
You must be using an entirely different kind than the ones I've used. The ones I've used have a vacuum and bag right on the machine.
There is on directly on it but it's sucked. You can take it off and and use a dust vac.

·
JOATMON
16,151 Posts
That's what it's supposed to do! :)

Actually, I don't know what to tell you. On the machines I've used, the vacuum worked great. The sander left virtually NO dust anywhere.
Same for me....and it was a rental from HD....

As for the stain...if you use an oil stain and want to cover it with a water based latex clear coat...you need to wait at least a week....

Oil based clear over oil stain? Couple of days....us woodworking guys have the same issue....

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
Looks like you used pretty dark stain.

This is an oak floor of a rental house bedroom I refinished a couple years ago. I used what was called "natural" stain. I liked the warm feel it gave the wood.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,428 Posts
Didn't think it would be that dark but yeah. Gonna change the wall color though. It came like that with the house.
Looks like you probably used a "dark oak" stain. Not too much you can do about it now. If it were me, I'd go no glossier than "satin" for the poly. "Semi-gloss" or "gloss" give it a little harsher look, in my opinion.

The right color paint will really make those rooms look nice!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just saying,, on the poly, the strength is in the degree of gloss,, was told to go high gloss first two coats, then use satin for top coat if I wanted to tone down the shine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
did you put a sealer on before the stain?

sanding sealers tend to even out the stain and give you MUCH greater control over the shade (ie, if you put stain on unsealed wood, it will soak it up pretty instantly, if it has a sealer on it you have time to wipe off excess and coat to color/use multiple coats to get desired shade).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok so I got the stain down. The grain really is showing very strong. Any reason why that is? Is it the stain choice?
That looks like a nice old red oak with winter wood and dark grain. Tends to stain out that way in my experience and I for one love it.

As for how long to let the stain dry, 24 hours at room temperature and 50% humidity will do it, provided you have wiped it down good, but it looks like we're past that marker.

Great job. Lookin' good!

·
JOATMON
16,151 Posts
Personally....I think it looks great.....but you didn't follow my advice about the conditioner did you?

I would rub it down with steel wool if you want to soften up some of the spots.....it will also make for a really smooth surface....

Let me STRESS.....clean it well. If you use a water based sealer and there is any steel wool left....it will turn to rust....

Vacuum....wipe....vacuum again....wipe again....follow up with a tack cloth.....

If you used an oil stain and are going to use a water based varnish....wait about a week....if oil based varnish....you can do it now.

I would also suggest sanding with 400 grit paper after the first coat to knock down any spots....

And....clean well between coats....

Don't rush it....

·
Registered
301 Posts
also, if using oil based finish (thats what i prefer), i usually thin it down 25 percent (3/4 poly, 1/4 mineral spirits)....it then goes on VERY thin, but easily allows the outgasing from the floor and the poly to occur without bubbles. will need more coats but really after the first coat, the rest are really fast.

in general, always thin everything that is oil based except stain, lol.

·
JOATMON
16,151 Posts
also, if using oil based finish (thats what i prefer), i usually thin it down 25 percent (3/4 poly, 1/4 mineral spirits)....it then goes on VERY thin, but easily allows the outgasing from the floor and the poly to occur without bubbles. will need more coats but really after the first coat, the rest are really fast.

in general, always thin everything that is oil based except stain, lol.
That is really good advice.....I had bubbles from the first floor I did....now I know why.....

But to be honest....I did rush it a little....wife was in the hospital trying to hold off delivering our first son and I was trying to get the baby room done.....

Now you know why I say "Don't rush it"....

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
I have to agree with those who like it. It looks far better than SOME refinishing jobs I've seen!

DM

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
1,320 Posts
Looks like it came out good! You are a patient man for doing the entire thing with an orbital sander. I used a drum sander in mine, I think we used 80 then 100 then 180 (or maybe it was 80, 120, 180 I can't remember) and then we hand rubbed it with 250 sponges before we tacked it. Luckily my buddy ran the drum sander as he had done it a few times before.

Anyways... I Had to do the stairs with the orbital sander as well as some of the closets since the drum was too big to fit - took just as long as doing the entire house w/ the drum.

·
Crusty Old Dude
111 Posts
Looks great to me. I like the way the more porous grain accents the wood in oak. You did a fine job,

·
Registered
728 Posts
I did a small bedroom a couple years back,, no rush, I use'ed a hand sander, starting with heavy grit and working up,, put a sealer down, was getting spotty,, when all said and done, it looks like the floor got a case of the spots, pretty sure it has red oak in it, at least it looks that way behind the radiator cover,, no way I'm posting pics of this affair. The only thing I can figure is I'll have to sand it down and then stain it to get rid of the spots, any advise would be apprieciated although I don't intisipate jumping into it for the time being,, maybe this is when I'm suppose to put down carpeting,, and OP,, nice job

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for all the good comments. I had to rush this due to my brother was only hear in a weekend. The part I rushed as only letting the stain dry for 12 hours. I was told after by some on here and goggling that it will caused bubbles. You can't see them well on the pictures but they are small and there.

What I'm annoying about is the fact that I can't get the oil-based polyurethane smell to go away. I got three coats on but man it's been a week and the smell isn't any better.

Any advice?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks for all the good comments. I had to rush this due to my brother was only hear in a weekend. The part I rushed as only letting the stain dry for 12 hours. I was told after by some on here and goggling that it will caused bubbles. You can't see them well on the pictures but they are small and there.

What I'm annoying about is the fact that I can't get the oil-based polyurethane smell to go away. I got three coats on but man it's been a week and the smell isn't any better.

Any advice?

yeah 12 hours isnt long enough...at least a day or two to get all the voc's out....for the bubbles, as mentioned, thinning the poly helps so that it will re-flow once the gases (and its OWN outgassing) pass through.

poly smell lasts about a week or two with decent ventilation so it should be gone soon...it is definitely a distinctive odor! At least its not as bad as oil paint.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts