DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I ripped up carpet in our 1950s dining room and hallway. We sanded and put down first coat of stain but the small part of wood that transitions from the kitchen floor(didn't have hardwood) was never finished before and still looks the same. Does this look familiar to anyone, what should we do?

Attachments

· Registered
37,499 Posts
Move the stuff out of the way so we can see it.
Looks like someone really messed up that patch, done right you'd know it was there.
Unless it's stripped to bare wood the stains just going to float on the surface.
It's called stain for a reason, it needs to soak into the wood.

· Registered
207 Posts
skeptical it is shellac on the floor. but, you can check by putting some denatured alcohol on it and see if it gums up.

if it is the old strip not taking stain in the same way, you may need to get another stain to match that which has previously done. ensure there is no finish on it now and then do some trial and error.

· Registered
9,064 Posts
If the floor was urethane finished, then carpeted later, and you did not sand down to wood, missed the spot with the edger, using water based gel stain. It also looks like the stain is not even for the floor.
The way the stain is in relatively straight line, I think it's your sanding that did not prepare the wood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.