DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our home is about 12 years old and the bath and kitchen cabinets are showing their age. The finish is coming off the solid wood doors and in some cases the framing as well.
I need to restore the finish without changing the stain. What are my options?
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
That's thin urethane finish on cabinets bought from homedepot. You can strip and refinish. Brass toothbrushes, stainless scrapers/wool and use stripper that does not have to be neutralized. The cabinet is natural finish and has no stain. Once stripped, light sanding all around. If you can find same dimension hinges, time to change them out as well.
Since you have to refinish anyway, you could try light stainless steel wool buffing and try oil base urethane right over the old. If the finish is not seamless, just strip and refinish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's thin urethane finish on cabinets bought from homedepot. You can strip and refinish. Brass toothbrushes, stainless scrapers/wool and use stripper that does not have to be neutralized. The cabinet is natural finish and has no stain. Once stripped, light sanding all around. If you can find same dimension hinges, time to change them out as well.
Since you have to refinish anyway, you could try light stainless steel wool buffing and try oil base urethane right over the old. If the finish is not seamless, just strip and refinish.
You're right in that it is a thin urethane natural finish on cheap cabinets commonly found on these tract homes.
I will probably have to avoid staining it since that would require applying matching stain on the cabinet frames and moldings that could be a lot of work.
I wish to avoid using strong chemicals for stripping. Which stripper would you recommend that doesn't have to be neutralized?

·
JOATMON
17,225 Posts
If it was me......

I'd try some clear coat first to see if it fixes the issue. Most stains will stay in the wood. Anytime I apply clear coat after staining, the color changes slightly.

If you don't get the desired result....then you strip and start fresh.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Strippers based on citrus is supposed to be most safe. But it is also the weakest. I just used chemicals. Probably one of the reasons why I have no more short term memory.:smile::smile: Do the work outside under a shade and you are safe. If want, avoid washing your hands with the chemical.:smile: Chemical safe gloves, cheap chip brush (natural bristles) and apply min 1/8" thick layer and cover the layer with paper towel. The paper slows the evaporation. But since the smallest amount is enough to do small bureau, if first app leaves some spots, do it again. The back of the door does not need refinishing. Scrape away most of the stripper then wipe with paper towel. If necessary, wash with water or wipe with damp paper. BTW, plastic scraper is good as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.