DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Reducing sheen of latex paint

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  PDevline 
#1 ·
I've got 10 gallons of Semi-Gloss White Interior (two 5 gal buckets). Had picked them up a couple of years ago for a rental and decided to go in another direction. The paint hasn't been unsealed since it was purchased and has been kept inside in relatively cool conditions.
I now have another rental that I'm getting ready to sell and thought about using this paint and spraying the garage (currently unpainted taped drywall) and the inside of a 8' x 14' (just finished refurb'ng the outside) storage unit.
I'd prefer to not have it be semi gloss. I was wonder if there is an additive that I can add to the paint prior to spraying that would get me a flatter sheen, more toward a satin or eggshell.
In my readings, I found recommendations like adding talcum powder or Floetrol that may reduce sheen. The latter I believe will only effect a full gloss and not have much effect on semi gloss.
If anyone out there has any ideas along this line, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thx in advance,
PD

#10 ·
There exist some flattening agent for latex material. They are used mainly for clears but work fine in latex paints.
I use one from target coatings. ML campbell also has one.
Any chance you have the product names from either of these lines? Checked out Target Coating's website earlier today and didn't come across anything that looked like it would do the trick. Thx in advance.
It's not on their website youll need to call them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.