DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a second floor shower, the hot water of which comes very slow, and only lukewarm in winter. I inspected the hot water connection and discovered that it seems to be extended from kitchen hot water supply, so the hot water goes from hot water heater to the kitchen first, then up to the Attic and goes into the bathroom through Attic wall. I want todo the connection so that it goes directly to the shower from the hot water heater.

Two of the pictures attached show the pipe going out of hot water heater ("from hwh 1.jpg" & "from hwh 2.jpg"), one show the hole that goes from hot water heater to the attic ("hole from hwh to attic.jpg"), and the remaining shows water supply to shower.

I think the job is relatively simple. In assume the of the two pipes connected to the hot water heater, one is water supply (the one with the valve), the other is the output. I simply need to reconnect the output with a t-fitting, with one end connected to the original horizontal pipe going into wall, and the other ended go up to the attic, and connected to one of the two pipes in the attic that goes into shower (the top one is hot when I run hot water in the shower.

Are my assumptions correct? Do you think my plan works? Can I use shark-bite fittings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I think even with the on demand recirculating pump, the water line may still be too long, and it will be hard to keep water temperature up. So I think I still need to redo the pipes.

Yea, you could do all that work and you would probably get the hot water a little faster. Still a long run. If you have the $$$, a quicker way would be to install an on demand recirculating pump at your wh. Quicker and easier. Just a suggestion.

how can i get hot water to second floor quicker - Google Search

Kind of pricey, didn't know if that would be an option for you.

Rheem 1/25 HP Hot Water Recirculating Pump with Under Sink Kit-RH18537 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you take a picture of the water heater and the connections?
In this picture, there are the two pipes that appeared in the previous pictures. I think the one on the left is the hot water outlet, and on the right is the cold water inlet. The one in the front is the TPRV.

What puzzles me is that the cold water inlet pipe is also pretty hot. Is it just heat leaked from the tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, may I ask what is the name of the copper pipe with "coils" on the exterior, (as against the pipe with smooth exterior).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have did the reconnection I said in my first post. Everything seems fine except my second floor shower (the one I'm trying to fix) is just getting a trickle of water, even cold water.

I only reconnected the hot water line. Even if I didn't do that right, I should still have cold water right?

What could be the problem here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a more detailed description of what happened.

After I finished the reconnection, and turn on the upstairs faucet, a gash of water came out, followed by some air, and then it stopped, with little bit of water dripping out.

My suspicion is that something in the hot water line that I dislodged during the reconnection process clogged up the water line, probably somewhere down stream from the switch, since even cold water were not coming out.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update: The problem was exactly what I said in the previous post. The clog was actually in the shower head. I removed it and cleaned it, put it back on and everything's working now, and hot water comes very quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts