DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I just bought a house a few months back and now that summer is around the corner I’ve shifted my focus to working on the backyard. I’m somewhat new to home repairs but I wanted to get advice about my back deck. The previous owner had a hot tub that they took with them, leaving me with this giant hole in my deck. I’d like to cover it but want to make sure I’m doing it correctly and the surface is fully supported. Am I able to lay new joists underneath without pulling up any of the existing deck boards? I’m not overly concerned about the new wood matching because I think an outdoor rug will eventually be going over the space. Any suggestions are helpful! Here are a few pictures.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I think you'll need to post pictures or sketch of the framing, post locations, and joist & beam sizes to get useful answers regarding how to redo the framing.

·
In a little over my head
1,367 Posts
Start out by removing the short deck boards that run into the hole. Once the joists/framing is exposed, the solution should be pretty easy to figure out.

·
retired framer
51,029 Posts
Just line it with another for nailers and hang joists with HDG hangers and nails.
They make angled hangers right and left, you will need equals of each of the the corners.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Just line it with another for nailers and hang joists with HDG hangers and nails.
I think you're making some assumptions about the framing there, Neal. Without seeing or knowing how those support pieces around the perimeter of the hole are attached/supported, I wouldn't be confident hanging new joists from them.

·
retired framer
51,029 Posts
I think you're making some assumptions about the framing there, Neal. Without seeing or knowing how those support pieces around the perimeter of the hole are attached/supported, I wouldn't be confident hanging new joists from them.
Yup
Rectangle Line Parallel Pattern Symmetry

·
retired framer
51,029 Posts
If it indeed is framed the way you show, and the diagonals are adequately attached to the other members, then what you proposed would probably work. Although, it that is the configuration, I would suggest removing the diagonals and avoiding the 45 degree hangers.
Then he could just cut the old decking square to match.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I think you're making some assumptions about the framing there, Neal.
This is like the current discussion about giving cost estimates on the forum. I agree with Neal ... based on what we can see the easiest solution is to add a frame along the perimeter of the hole and start laying boards. Beyond that its up to the OP to evaluate the situation in person and use the parts of the advice that suit him.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hope you were aware that the seller was taking the hot tub. Not quite as drastic but, my brother-in-law bought a house with a huge water bed in the master bedroom. The seller said that they were taking the bed and mentioned that the carpeting was very new. Well, after closing they discovered that the carpet was in fact new but it was installed around (but not under) the water bed. The hole in the carpet was as big as that hot tub hole.
Anyway I'm in agreement with Nealtw on the approach to the problem.

·
retired framer
51,029 Posts
I hope you were aware that the seller was taking the hot tub. Not quite as drastic but, my brother-in-law bought a house with a huge water bed in the master bedroom. The seller said that they were taking the bed and mentioned that the carpeting was very new. Well, after closing they discovered that the carpet was in fact new but it was installed around (but not under) the water bed. The hole in the carpet was as big as that hot tub hole.
Anyway I'm in agreement with Nealtw on the approach to the problem.
Friends bought a house with all new paint inside but no new paint behind any furniture.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
When I first saw this thread, I thought of that part of the Richard Pryor movie, Moving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts