DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you tin knockers and installers: need your help to settle an argument I'm having with my sheet metal guys.
They say that the green snips are "lefts" and the reds are "rights."
I say the reds are lefts because they cut left and the greens are rights because they cut to the right.
I also remind them of an old memory aid: "there was once a sailor named RED who LEFT the PORT."
This reminds us that red, left and port means the same thing. I see the color of the grips on the snips and that settles it in my mind.
Am I wrong? Thanks for your input.
Got a case of beer riding on it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
When I was bashing tin we called the greens lefts,even though they cut to the right. Whenever I've used them (which wasn't very often) I'd hold them in my left hand because cutting towards the back of your hand is awkward. The three guys who taught me (all journeymen with 25+ years experience) called them lefts. Whenever we hired a new guy who was left handed, my boss always wanted to see if they used green snips, lol.

·
Administrator
40,321 Posts
Red=left cut, Green=right cut. Aviation snip manufacturers refer to them by their cut. So you hold lefts in your right hand, and rights in your left hand.

But its not uncommon to hear some guys refer to them by the hand you use them in. Red=right hand, Green=left hand.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was bashing tin we called the greens lefts,even though they cut to the right. Whenever I've used them (which wasn't very often) I'd hold them in my left hand because cutting towards the back of your hand is awkward. The three guys who taught me (all journeymen with 25+ years experience) called them lefts. Whenever we hired a new guy who was left handed, my boss always wanted to see if they used green snips, lol.
I never thought about it that way but your right. I cut left with my right and right with my left. If my old tin knockers had used that argument I would have understood their position. But as you pointed out, would this apply to someone who is left handed.

Thanks a lot for your input!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red=left cut, Green=right cut. Aviation snip manufacturers refer to them by their cut. So you hold lefts in your right hand, and rights in your left hand.

But its not uncommon to hear some guys refer to them by the hand you use them in. Red=right hand, Green=left hand.
Interesting that you seperated aviation snips
From other sheet metal tool companys like Malco because I learned the memory saving story when I was learning to be a pilot. Right wing is always lighted green, left wing flashing red light. I simply applied the colors of the grips the same way.
Thanks alot for your help!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Green ---Left

Red----Right

Whether that's right or wrong that's what all the Tin Knockers called them many moons ago when I started knocking tin so I just call them what I always knew them as.

·
Banned
3,704 Posts
Green-left.

Red-right.

My sheet metal mentor was in business from the mid 1950s and that whole generation used to refer to them that way.

The younger guys will argue they are the opposite. I just tell my guys to give the snips I want by color rather than get in a pissing match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts