DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
12,894 Posts
I think Larry is correct. Keep digging a little more and you should find the top of a pea trap. Not sure why they didn't leave a piece of pipe sticking up.

Seems like a shower drain and it's matching vent. Why it's not over by the toilet and sink makes no sense.
I don't install the trap until I know for sure where the drain is located. Owner may want a 36x36, 36x48 or just a tub. Each requires a different trap location

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
12,894 Posts
If you are adding a trap there would it not go with a slight slope to that vent pipe.
Hard to imagine some one would go 24" deep for venting when the vent is right there.
You attach a trap to a trap arm, not to a vent

· Premium Member
12,894 Posts
So you would want something like this?
View attachment 727822
I suppose that would be fine- it's horizontal wet venting. In the OP it's an individual vent at the T/S and judging by the other vents it is plumbed correctly but much different that you image. Both are code approved (different codes have exceptions for horz venting. UPC vs IPC)
Bottom line is the OP has a T/S box that needs a solvent weld trap glue onto the existing trap arm stub- not the vent. It's all in the lingo/definitions.

Reactions: Nealtw

· Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Sorry I didn't get that in the picture. The left side of the wye goes up to another bathroom sink on the main level.
It looks like most of the drain and venting is installed and connected. You need water piping, fixtures and walls of course. The waste & vent is the most difficult.
If you are somewhat handy you can wrap this up. There enough pros and well experienced people here to help out. You can start a 'project thread' and get all the input you need (y)

· Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Now I'm just more confused.

Pipes on the right mostly make sense. Pipe on the left you said the kitchen sink ties into the same line that it ties into.

You had a picture of a wye (tie in) under the slab. Is that where the kitchen sink ties into?

I would not think so and presume you got mixed up.....could be me though! 🤨
I saw the kitchen line in a previous picture. It wyes into the 2" vertical line below the lav- totally legal. See post 23

· Premium Member
12,894 Posts
@saxman00, You have almost everything you need for a lav, toilet and tub/shower rough in. You are lacking a trap. and water piping. The vents appear to tie to the main floor plumbing and the water is in the ceiling (the2 capped drops)
A shower needs a 2" trap arm, tub needs 1-1/2". You need to dig in the holle and expose the tee more to determine which of the 2 you can use

1 - 8 of 8 Posts