DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rectangular hole in basement - What is it?

1720 Views 50 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  StrongEagle
Hello,

I recently moved into a new home. It is a 2-story home with a walk out, unfinished basement. The basement has roughed in plumbing for a toilet and sink. Opposite those pipes, by the stairs, there is a rectangular shaped hole filled with gravel. There is a pipe that is adjacent to the hole that goes up. This side of the basement is underground. I have run water through all the drains on the two other levels and I haven't heard water coming down this pipe. I excavated an entire bucket of gravel from the hole and haven't come across any pipes yet. Not sure if I should keep going or not.

Is this a location for a shower drain? A future location for a sump pump? The home inspection did not note any sump pumps nor did the previous owner. We have had some very heavy rains and there is no indication of water anywhere in this area. It was dry as far down as I dug. Possibly a radon vent?

I can't get plumbers to call me back for a quote to finish the bathroom and wondering if it's something I could do myself. I have zero experience in plumbing. Thanks

Wood Building Floor Tints and shades Fender

Composite material Tints and shades Soil Concrete Building material
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,908 Posts
I think Larry is correct. Keep digging a little more and you should find the top of a pea trap. Not sure why they didn't leave a piece of pipe sticking up.

Seems like a shower drain and it's matching vent. Why it's not over by the toilet and sink makes no sense.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
I don't install the trap until I know for sure where the drain is located. Owner may want a 36x36, 36x48 or just a tub. Each requires a different trap location

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I get that but even an unglued one for location purposes.

Funny how it wasn't disclosed, someone had to have some knowledge of a plan. Also, look at the layout, hard to imagine it will even work without removing more concrete.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not. The pipe on the left (where the shower will go) goes up and connects to similar sized pipes in the ceiling (behind the big pipe) and then comes down the wall on the right. Above and to the right (not pictured) there are several pipes from the laundry room and kitchen sink on the main level that seem to tie in there.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your patience with a newb...

View attachment 727836
Now I'm just more confused.

Pipes on the right mostly make sense. Pipe on the left you said the kitchen sink ties into the same line that it ties into.

You had a picture of a wye (tie in) under the slab. Is that where the kitchen sink ties into?

I would not think so and presume you got mixed up.....could be me though! 🤨

· Registered
2,908 Posts
The pipe by the hole is a vent and you shouldn't hear water come down it.

Now let's see where we went wrong....lol

Under the slab you took this photo. This is what I asked....where does this go?

It appears to be plumbed for a bath tub.
Gas Font Soil Rectangle Event

· Registered
2,908 Posts
After seeing all your pictures it appears that the original layout was like this. Red line represents your wet wall at the head of a bathtub (vent in wall) with the blue lines showing tub directions.

Not finding a tie in or a pea trap somewhat squashes the guess.

Can't tell you if you can tie in without being there.

All indications point to it as a drain area.

Human body Wood Font Line Rectangle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts