DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· retired framer
70,204 Posts
The shower tub drain only has to be deep enough to be vented, as the vent is right there the shower trap can go to that vent pipe at any level.

· retired framer
70,204 Posts
I think Larry is correct. Keep digging a little more and you should find the top of a pea trap. Not sure why they didn't leave a piece of pipe sticking up.

Seems like a shower drain and it's matching vent. Why it's not over by the toilet and sink makes no sense.
They put it where is will connect with the vent above.

· retired framer
70,204 Posts
I suppose that would be fine- it's horizontal wet venting. In the OP it's an individual vent at the T/S and judging by the other vents it is plumbed correctly but much different that you image. Both are code approved (different codes have exceptions for horz venting. UPC vs IPC)
Bottom line is the OP has a T/S box that needs a solvent weld trap glue onto the existing trap arm stub- not the vent. It's all in the lingo/definitions.
He still might find a trap down there deep, He could measure the depth of one of the other pipes to find how deep it might be.

· retired framer
70,204 Posts
I'm sorry. I'm sure I'm the one confused. Lots of new terminology. I also took the pictures from opposite sides which isn't clear for people not standing in the space.

The pipe on the left of the last picture goes by the rectangular hole filled with gravel. That's the only pipe I can see below the slab. I've not heard any water running down this pipe. Water from the kitchen sink and washer from the main level seems to come down the pipe on the right.

At the far back right of this picture the pipe comes from the bathroom sink on the main level.

In my attempts to explain, I think I'm making it worse. At least I know where the shower should go now.
Usually they leave the pipe sticking up for the shower and they put a foam block around it with just a skim coat of concrete. So if you want or need to move it a little you can remove the foam and wiggle the pipe,
So for what ever reason they did not do that for you. Maybe they thought you might break concrete and move it anyway.
So where in the bathroom would you put the shower. I think it will connect to that pipe under the floor but you are not limited to where.

· retired framer
70,204 Posts
That's a good question that I will leave to my wife to figure out (-; personally, I'd rather not have to break up more of the floor, but since it seems some of the "harder" things are already setup, maybe we can go that direction.
The fitting under the floor is it bigger more the size of the main sewer line or the same size as the pipe going down there.

Gently tap the floor with a hammer and see if you can find a thin spot, it still might be somewhere just under the surface.

· retired framer
70,204 Posts
I think we're at least the 4th homeowners of this house so that may be tricky. Every question we asked about the house to the immediately preceding homeowners was met with "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" so they were not very helpful. I'll see what I can find around the pipe that is there now. I'll also ask around with some neighbors as many of the houses in my neighborhood have a similar design.

Do you think there is a possibility I could tie into that pipe that is beneath the slab? Sounds like there probably will be some concrete work unless I can't find a pipe sticking up in that hole.

Thanks!
There is usually a floor plan for the basement lay out when they do this plumbing, the city may have a copy of that plan on file.
Can you do a sketch of the basement and show the pipes in the floor and that hole, maybe we will see a likely place the tub shower should be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts