DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a shed custom built by a local contractor. The shed was built on a concrete pad. The issue we are currently dealing with is related to the improper installation of the vinyl siding.

The bottom strip of vinyl siding was not installed low enough to protect the sheathing against water (or snow). I have noticed that after we have some rain, the bottom of the OSB sheathing is wet.

The problem is more serious during heavy rainfalls. The water is able to get in and I can see that the sill plate is wet.

The contractor doesn't want to fix the problem. Aside from redoing the siding, is there a solution to fix this issue ? A aluminum flashing ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Would it be more efficient to install a flashing like below (see image - piece in red) or go with a starter strip instead ?

Thanks again.

The siding doesn't get installed any further down in this case, but a starter strip as well as some z-flashing would provide the wood a capillary break in this case.

If you have snow stack up against it, its gonna get wet regardless unless its wrapped up.

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
You want to stop the water, so under the flashing a peel and stick with a primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You want to stop the water, so under the flashing a peel and stick with a primer.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I have an air barrier (Tyvek) installed against the OSB sheathing. So you are recommending to apply the peel and stick membrane at the bottom of the OSB sheet, on top of the Tyvek ? I would then install the flashing (red flashing as per diagram above) on top of the peel and membrane ?

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation.

I have an air barrier (Tyvek) installed against the OSB sheathing. So you are recommending to apply the peel and stick membrane at the bottom of the OSB sheet, on top of the Tyvek ? I would then install the flashing (red flashing as per diagram above) on top of the peel and membrane ?
No,, you want the peel and stick behind the house wrap in case water gets passed the tape on your flashing. I would tape the wrap to the peel and stick to discourage insects.

·
Naildriver
12,797 Posts
I like your semi z bar plan, and would offer one more modification, although yours is good if you can get it "broke" the way you want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No,, you want the peel and stick behind the house wrap in case water gets passed the tape on your flashing. I would tape the wrap to the peel and stick to discourage insects.
Thanks. Really appreciate the help :smile:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like your semi z bar plan, and would offer one more modification, although yours is good if you can get it "broke" the way you want it.
I might end up with this design since my flashing design will probably be too complicated to bend (or too expensive). I will check on Monday the cost of cutting and folding both designs and will decide after. Thanks :thumbup1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts