DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to this forum and happy to be here!

I've got my building permit to add a finished three season room onto my house which is a ranch style home with garden level windows where the three season room is going to go. (Room will be approximately 6' off of the ground). Anyway, I need to run a dedicated circuit out there and my electrical panel is at the extreme opposite corner of my house. I've got it all figured out except for stapling the wire every 4 1/2' along the way. Ideally I would like to run the cable horizontally through my open floor trusses but the room there is finished and I have no way of stapling it at the required distances for that part of the run which is about 20'. Any suggestions on how to do it without cutting into my nice drywall ceiling in my lower level to attach it?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Dan

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discuss with your building inspector. Sometimes they will allow wire in existing walls or ceilings to go in without staples.
2014 NEC

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall
be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed
spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting
is impracticable.

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Welcome back D, I was down your way last night. My son works down there.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Welcome back D, I was down your way last night. My son works down there.
Thank you.

Health problems have limited my online participation the past few years and what time I have had has been spent herding cats (moderating) at MH.

I am doing okay right now, so I will probably be around here more.

Are the HIs behaving at the other forum?

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
D, do you still have the same phone number ?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi all,

New to this forum and happy to be here!

I've got my building permit to add a finished three season room onto my house which is a ranch style home with garden level windows where the three season room is going to go. (Room will be approximately 6' off of the ground). Anyway, I need to run a dedicated circuit out there and my electrical panel is at the extreme opposite corner of my house. I've got it all figured out except for stapling the wire every 4 1/2' along the way. Ideally I would like to run the cable horizontally through my open floor trusses but the room there is finished and I have no way of stapling it at the required distances for that part of the run which is about 20'. Any suggestions on how to do it without cutting into my nice drywall ceiling in my lower level to attach it?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Dan
Since it is trusses you can probably minimize the ceiling damage. It may be possible to cut holes at each end and fish your wire through the trusses. I do this using fiberglass rods. Sometimes I hit a duct, but in many cases I am able to snake across without having to make a bunch of holes. It takes a little time and a lot of snake rattling. If it does not go in one direction, try sending it a little to the left or right. I usually cut one hole and push the rod through and cut the other side where I think the rod showed up. It is nice to have a helper with good hearing. If the wire is fished, it does not have to be secured every 4.5'.

Cut your ceiling holes at least big enough to get your arm up there, but I like to stick my head through. Cut at a forty five degree angle inward. It will be easier to patch that way even if it is a cottage cheese ceiling. Just butter the edges with joint compound. You might have to put a piece of wood across the opening and secure the cut-out with drywall screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts