DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided this year after struggling with rakes, leaf blower/handheld vacuum, tarps, trying to mow, etc., I'm going to splurge on a vac to tow behind my lawn tractor. They are pricey but will save hours and hours of work and hopefully last for years. Our property isn't huge buy we have bunch of oak trees that blanket the lawn, have tried mulching them but there's just too much and they grass gets killed.

Quick searching came up with the DR models and the Cyclone Rake. Anyone have experience with either of the products and/or the brands? I've seen the DR mowers around but never used one. I like that the DR can also be used as a small trailer. Don't know much about the different engines, and I'd probably be looking at the lower ends of both products due to price and just using around the home.

Thanks!

·
Usually Confused
7,948 Posts
Oak leaves can be a real pain because they drop late and tend to be 'waxy' (for want of a better word)and are slow to break down. Quite frankly, I would go with a blower rather than a vacuum and either blow them into the woods or a pile, depending on what your property allows. Lots of options from gas powered to corded and cordless electric. I don't know if vacuums are anything like baggers on lawn tractors but they tend to fill up really, really quickly and you waste a lot of time emptying them.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
For the past 10 years leaf clean up is all I do in the fall for up to 30 different people.
I owned a DR and hated it!
It was a royal pain to hook up, never fully dumped out, and I went through 5 engines in one season, most lasted less then an hour.
DR was great about sending me a new engine, but that's not the point, they all failed because of a plastic cam gear breaking off.
B&S got involved and said it was the wrong engine, for some strange reason they sent my local dealer a new engine and crankshaft, and said they would pay them to install it.
(DR impellers use a 1" shaft, not 3/4" like most.)
That one lasted about 5 hours and the same thing happened.
Briggs refused to pay my dealer and would not return there calls.
I bought a Trac Vac 580 and have never had an issue!
Most often it starts first pull, it will make the yard look like it's been raked.
It grinds the leaves up so fine it makes great compost.
It takes seconds to dump.
Any of there smaller one's that dump into a trash can are a waste of money!
There to tippy, and a royal pain to dump out.
The cyclone rake uses a fabric over the trailer, no way is that going to last.

Reactions: bcemail
1 - 3 of 3 Posts