DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many 65w light's can I put on a sinlge 20amp circuit?

I will be adding 2 string's of 4 (each on their own dimmer). Should I feed each dimmer with a seperate circuit (I have the space) or use 1 circuit for all 8?

·
Banned
225 Posts
Yes, but he dimmer switch also has a limitation...most are in thre 600 watt range. And you really don't want to max out that switch.

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
Use one circuit for all 8. You're talking about less than 5 amps load for 8 lights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Each string (2 string's each with 4 - 65w light's) will be on it's own dimmer (600w rating).

So, if I am reading correst, I can feed each dimmer from 1 - 20amp circuit. Each dimmer will have 4 - 65w can's conected to it.

If I do this, I will be ok?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the way I was typing it was different then the way it came out but that was my understanding.

I am good now, a single 20amp circuit for 8/9 65w recessed light's (fed by 2 dimmer's) will be sufficient.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will get the "lingo" right one of these day's!

Thank god someone is doing this for me (friend who is retired electrician)!

I am sure he know's, but not as available as people on these board's and I like knowing myself also.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Your allowed 2400 watts on a 20 amp circuit... and you could always buy 1000 watt dimmers if needed...

Personally, I would have saved myself some money and wired everything in 14awg...

And just so your aware, you could have (9) 65watt lamps on a single 600w dimmer...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts