DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I searched the web for hours looking for answers but I cannot find anything clear about this. There are recessed lighting led fixtures that are sold with the driver and they are made to mount straight into the ceiling without housing. now the driver obviously needs to be hardwired to a 120v wire from a my switch box but what is the rule for this connection? Do I tuck in the wire, does it need a box? I know the halogen ones come with the box and the housing all together but these low voltage come just with the light and the driver.

it might be obvious but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
You must be looking at a retrofit LED application I assume. Every light needs a housing. And yes 120v still goes into it. Pretty sure they all have quick connectors now. Can you give the model # you're trying to use? Maybe we could offer better advice with that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm sorry. That was rude. Please don't buy those. There's plenty of other better products out there. Are you trying to add recessed LED lighting in your kitchen? I don't know what kind of budget you have but the best out there is called Cree. If you have a pretty tight budget, just check out home depot or something of the likes in your area. They have Halo's and Commercial Electric LED lighting. They have many options. They even sell kits that you do actually just cut a hole in the ceiling and hook 120v to the housing. Do a little more research and ask if you need advice. Good luck!

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,830 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers. I figured it wouldn't work like that. Led is appealing but since I can get halogen 50w with housing kit under 10$ each it seems too much of a price difference especially if you put 20+ light fixtures...

In any case thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmmm.. If you can find a halogen kit that cheap then go for it.. Sounds WAY to cheap to me.. Make sure its rated IC if your attic is insulated. And yes the LED's are a bit expensive, but they save you on electricity, and changing the bulbs every 50,000 hours is very appealing to me, not to mention the much much cooler they run. Good luck !

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,830 Posts

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
Without the ul or CSA rating you can't install them. If they were rated you could do the low voltage side free air. Mount the driver inside a jb and bring the 120v volt into the jb then take your low voltage cable out to the light. Depending on the heat thrown you may need a fireproof barrier around the back of the light but normally the isn't required with led lighting. Another issue is that you have to worry about voltage drop a lot more when your dealing with a low voltage circuit. All of this is moot point if its not an approved ul fixture. Your just asking for your insurance company not to pay out in The event of a house fire if you do that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are recessed lighting led fixtures that are sold with the driver and they are made to mount straight into the ceiling without housing. now the driver obviously needs to be hardwired to a 120v wire from a my switch box but what is the rule for this connection? Do I tuck in the wire, does it need a box?
I have the same question. I'm looking at:
low voltage recessed LED lights (Image 1 below)
line voltage with combined driver recessed LED lights (Image 2 below)

Without the ul or CSA rating you can't install them. If they were rated you could do the low voltage side free air. Mount the driver inside a jb and bring the 120v volt into the jb then take your low voltage cable out to the light.
Is this really the case, if using low voltage lights that are UL approved, can I simply make a connection/splice in the ceiling outside of any j-box?

I do not have enough room in the ceiling to install cans or anything that big. I will need a shallow solution. There is enough room for a j-box, but that is pretty much it.

Could someone explain how lights of the types listed above can be connected?

Image 1:
http://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.net/images/uploads/RLF-CW1W-led-accent-light-store.jpg

Image 2:
http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/i3/823741806/T2O3RtXcxNXXXXXXXX_!!823741806.jpg

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,830 Posts
Jaxx, if the driver is a UL listed device in would be installed in an electric box and a cable rated for in wall use brought out of the box for connection to the lamp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts