DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,283 Posts
Take an ice pick, or an extra long #1 phillips screwdriver, and prod around the suspect rot.

Any rot will allow the prod to penetrate deeply.

That will give you an idea how much has to go.

ED

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the advice I did exactly that . It has bad rot I don't think who ever built the deck flashed or double flashed the ledger. I probed the ledger board and it went clean trough the 2x10 and it hit what seems to be solid stucco? I hope

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,283 Posts
Not a good sign at all.

So I would plan for a total rebuild, SOON, and have everything needed to totally replace this failure.

And flashing the joist to structure is a must, or you get what you have too soon.

Be careful tearing down, you don't want to damage any good parts of the structure, and spend more than needed.

ED

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have not started to tear anything down on this deck yet I've been doing my home work and definitely preparing for a complete rebuild. I just don't want too pull of the ledger and find structural damage to the house.
So far the only wood that may be salvaged is part of the railings 80% I would say. 2 support post of the 3 rot straigtht through the bottom here is some pictures.. the top deck is next

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,283 Posts
I agree that building it as a stand alone structure is a very good idea, If you get that kind of decay in 18 years, You must have a lot of water from the sky.

And I would not want to chance it penetrating my house, by having a ledger attached to it.

That said I am wondering if there is much damage to the house now.

I sure hope not, only a thorough inspection will tell you.

So plan well, and do not skimp on the structure, you can save money elsewhere, like 1 less desert a week or something.

ED

I realized that I calculated the age of the deck wrong , make that 28 years.

·
Usually Confused
6,545 Posts
That job sounds like it would require a permit, along with whatever upgrade that entails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was told it was built in 89 but may have had work idk what? Done to maybe 5 plus years ago.
And thanks for everyone's input.. the decay was my main concern because I'm not a pro by any means. But commen sense tell me if there is no flashing that can see then most definitely behind the ledger is more decay.. And then permit and the McCoy etc.
So even if I make a free standing if there is decay on the house still a lot of work to repair it.. so any other ideas how I can test the house structure behind ledger before I tear in to it????? I was going to start this probably next week?
Thanks again every body

1 - 11 of 11 Posts