DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am adding some supports in my basement/crawlspace in preparation for an attic conversion project upstairs. The engineer is having me add four posts (either PT 6x6 or permanent steel columns - my choice) with 24x24x10 footings. This will be inspected, so what does code call for in terms of rebar placement? My plan was just to use 4 18-inch pieces of 1/2-inch rebar per footing, laid out in a tic-tac-toe grid pattern held up by 4 rebar chairs where the pieces cross. That seems like it would be sufficient, but I can't figure out if there's a specific code requirement for this. Most of what I find online is for continuous footings.

I am in North Carolina. The frost depth is 12", so I am just making the footings 24x24x12 so they'll be level with grade.

Thanks for the help.

·
retired framer
51,119 Posts
Lift the forms off the ground a little, up to 2" so the depth will still be deep enough and the bottom of the post is out of the dirt. Engineers tell us the size of the footing and the rebar specks I would do a grid of 3 or 4 each way 20" long would be 2" from the edges and 2" off the ground is right. We just hang them from the top with wires, but chairs will work.

·
" I Can Fix It "
354 Posts
Thanks, Neal. I think I've gotten half my advice from this site from you alone. Much appreciated.

Yes, Nealtw has an abundance of knowledge. HOG !!!!!!!! lol:vs_smirk:

just sayin' :vs_cool:

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
here its 2 mats of #4 bar ea 20" long - 3pcs,,, 1st mat 3" off bottom & 2nd mat 3" below top,,, ea mat at 90* to ea other ( btm mat front to back & 2nd side to side ),,, ours are 2.0 x 2.0 x 1.0 high
iirc, steel has to be conc filled per fire code

1 - 5 of 5 Posts