DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unit that is on its last leg, making rattling sounds outside, probably 15ish years old and the coil is blowing cold air outside of the housing... the A/C company(highly rated on Google) has deemed both the condenser and coil bad(I believe it). This is the quote/estimate they gave for replacement everything, should I not want to have home warranty replace with equal parts. I know this is a little general, but if anyone could provide some feedback on pricing, etc... I'd appreciate some input as to whether this is a reasonable price or not for the listed work.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
You need 3 estimates for a complete system, at least one from an independent HVAC contractor who comes with references.
This will allow you to compare apples to apples.
I see what's included, and that's good to know.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need 3 estimates for a complete system, at least one from an independent HVAC contractor who comes with references.
This will allow you to compare apples to apples.
I see what's included, and that's good to know.
Looks like one place quoted 6,800... so that's a good sign. I just grabbed a few names off Angieslist and sent the above screenshot to them. So far, no one is close to that price.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
you need a contractor who is recommended.
Don't look at Angielist or Craigslist.
Recommended by someone you know.
Is it so hard to accomplish?
Also get estimates on other equipment brands.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I'm not saying that the bid you posted is not good, but you need to compare it to something similar from other contractors.
You know your timing is not the best right now: It's July, it's hot, AC contractors are swamp, and they raise their prices. It's their time to cash in.
Hey, it's a supply and demand base market.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
where are you located? why only a 80% furnace?

Most important thing is matching the equipment to the house - price shopping here isn't helpful because we can't see the job and prices vary wildy across the continent.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In that case 80% furnace makes sense.

Need to make sure the equipment is properly sized.

In texas it could make sense to get a 16 seer/13 eer given how hot it is there.
I understand that there may be room for possible changes, such as more SEER, but my intent for posting wasn't so much price shopping versus asking if the price I was given was reasonable for the parts/labor outlined in the quote.

I'm not asking "what's better' or for recommendations for my current home, just an opinion on the listed parts and price. Sorry if I didn't clarify that initially.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.