DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

OK to have 2 doors in Master Bathroom?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you think your realtor is wrong.....find another one.
Realtors tend to know what the trends are and what is selling.
If you really want to sell then just do what they say.
If you don't want to do what the realtor says then don't complain if your house doesn't sell. This isn't the kind of decision you should make on your own unless you have experience in selling homes and knowledge of what buyers want.
You asked a realtor for their opinion and you got it.
If you don't plan on selling the it doesn't matter what they say.
Make it so you are happy.
People throw tons of money into their house ant they love how it turns out.
When the go to sell it they realize just how lousy their design decisions really are when it sits on the market.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My parents' home was built in the 50s. They lived there since 1969.One full bath. One 3/4 bath

I guess they got tired of looking at the pink tiles and the cast iron tub was a little high for them to step into. They said they were going to replace the tub with a lower one. I asked why they just don't go with a shower instead of a tub. They never take a bath. My mother said resale value.

They are 84. I told them don't worry about resale, enjoy the home while you are there and renovate to your likes and needs, not the next buyers likes and needs. They went with the shower.

OP, my advice, go with what you want. Ignore the realtor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keep the door, can the agent. If at some future time you want to eliminate the door, build a set of shelves in front of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
All these talks about canning the agent. The agent is simply telling you what the market is looking for. Just because you disagree with her opinion doesn't mean to just outright can her based on that alone. We have had the same agent for years. We disagree with her on some things including some rehab design aspects. But she's awesome anyway. I wouldn't can her because of a difference of opinion on one thing. Damn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No one is going to want to add a door later if there is a long bath counter there. I'm with those who say that removing the door later would be an easier job than adding one if you guess wrong.

And my wife and I both agree that dual sinks are silly. We share a lot in our marriage, but simultaneous teeth-brushing is not really on our list of "gotta-haves". ;)

·
Usually Confused
6,532 Posts
It makes a lot more sense to me to leave it now, and remove it if and when a buyer wants as part of the closing contract, than vice versa. A lot of selling houses has to do with "vision". People get turned off by things they can't see (or see, but don't want to). It's easier to envision removing that door than it is to see it there when it isn't.

Perhaps unless I was desperate or in a very slow market, there is no way in heck I would undertake a requested renovation simply to close a sale. Do they get to approve the quality of workmanship or style of door before releasing their condition? Where does it stop? Maybe lop a couple of grand off the price and say go install you own door, after you own it.

All these talks about canning the agent. The agent is simply telling you what the market is looking for. Just because you disagree with her opinion doesn't mean to just outright can her based on that alone. We have had the same agent for years. We disagree with her on some things including some rehab design aspects. But she's awesome anyway. I wouldn't can her because of a difference of opinion on one thing. Damn.

It might be just the phraseology of the OP but it seemed to me like the realtor was being insistent. The client-provider relationship seemed out of balance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Oh, I agree with you 100%. I have no intentions of changing real estate agents. Mine is AWESOME, been with us for years and many transactions (we have rental property), and always looks out for my best. This minor disagreement /opinion has no bearing on that relationship. Thanks for chiming in!!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts