DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

OK to have 2 doors in Master Bathroom?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ahh.... We actually experienced that problem once! My son's friend (years ago) stole some medication out of my medicine cabinet. I guess it was just too accessible.... So yes, we'd have to keep the outer door locked. We just never dreamed something like that might happen, but we're a bit LESS naive now, haha!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yep I agree with your real estate agent on that too - master bath ain't a master bath retreat with two doors.

Also, the loss of wall space for cabs mentioned is a big thing too.

Perhaps a compromise of sorts? Keep the 2nd door until you're ready to sell, and try to design your bathroom so that you can take out the door later without too much extra added expense.

If you've got the right kinda vanity - the furniture looking type, you could just take the smaller vanity with you when you sell and install a bigger vanity then. Just plumb it up for a second sink as much as you can now and cap the unused pipes

Reactions: BeckyOK

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I do not know if it would work in your situation but I have seen pocket doors used quite often in bathrooms.

·
Hammered Thumb
2,783 Posts
Your agent is spot on. You will get positive reinforcement for your ideas on a DIY site, which is apparently what you seek. If you go to the Houzz forum where architects and real estate pros comment, they will state verbatim what your agent said.

·
Still learning every day!
470 Posts
If you're selling post complete gut-remodelled bath, it may be worth ditching the second door. HOWEVER, what exists in the comparables being used to compare your homes assets and features and value? If they tend to NOT have the second door, that would push me towards that direction.

At the same time, if you're really NOT going to sell, I would follow Mystriss' advice and keep the second door with the design flexibility to close it in for resell.

Your house -- live in it the way you want and need to, and, resolve any oddities only when either necessary to sell or your own needs dictate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thank you, @F250 ! That (objective feedback) IS what I want. (And I've already posted my question on Houzz a couple days ago... no replies yet.) I sincerely appreciate your input! (Everyone's input-- bless you all!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you, @3onthetree , for your input. I'm here for objective feedback. And, I've already posted my question on Houzz, no replies yet. @Mystriss , thank you for the suggestion. I'd thought of that. However, the only good way to add the "potty room" (separate toilet room) that my realtor said we HAD to have (and I don't disagree) creates the (supposed) problem of only allowing for a 54" single vanity. With or without the door, there's really only one way to lay it out (there are some diagonal walls in the bathroom, so somewhat limiting....). Therefore, someone COULD remove the door and close that 24" in later, but still wouldn't change the vanity situation. (My realtor has only seen my bathroom one time -- I've lived here for 16 years, measured, consulted two other realtors & architects in the family.) So, door or no door, it actually doesn't change the layout of the space for the vanity and toilet room. So, I guess that kind of clears it up for me for now.... You ALL have been SO KIND to take the time to share your thoughts. SO SINCERELY appreciated. Bless you! (And, @Missouri Bound , I AM going to use a pocket [actually barn door, hanging] on the outside of the toilet room!] Thank you!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
@BeckyOK ah well then it shouldn't be too much trouble to remove the 2nd door when/if you sell later on. Also, love the hanging barn door look, I don't really have anywhere in the house one would fit unfortunately. Though, fair warning, hanging barn door doesn't quite block sound as well as a typical door - get a loud fan so your calming bathing experience isn't ruined by husband... noises :p

Reactions: BeckyOK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@BeckyOK... fair warning, hanging barn door doesn't quite block sound as well as a typical door - get a loud fan so your calming bathing experience isn't ruined by husband... noises :p
Haha!!! The hanging barn door will only be for the toilet room, not the exterior door of the whole bathroom. But I know all about those "husband noises", LOL! Thanks for the laugh! I needed that.... (My precious husband just passed away, very unexpectedly, Jan. 29th. I would give ANYTHING to hear his "noises" again.) :crying::crying::crying:

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
Heartfelt condolences for your loss. It must be difficult.

I've never had a house with a separate toilet space. I've always understood it to be a European thing but never really looked into it. Without knowing the layout of the room it's hard to say how much would by involved. It don't know if there are HVAC rules for a separate space.

Again with your realtor saying you must do something. Is it a common feature in your area or would it be a trendy outlier? How much would it cost vs. how much value would it add?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Haha!!! The hanging barn door will only be for the toilet room, not the exterior door of the whole bathroom. But I know all about those "husband noises", LOL! Thanks for the laugh! I needed that.... (My precious husband just passed away, very unexpectedly, Jan. 29th. I would give ANYTHING to hear his "noises" again.) :crying::crying::crying:
Oh dear. I apologize for having brought up sad memories :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you, dear @lenaitch , for your condolences. I never dreamed.... at least not this early. And @Mystriss , no harm done, at all! My children and grandchildren and I (there are still two at home) are having to navigate this "new normal" without my dear Hank.... don't know what I'd do without God. Anyway, I DO appreciate each of your input, and everyone here.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
@BeckyOK, real estate agents have three interests in hierarchy of priority: (a) themselves; (b) the seller; and (c) the buyer.

I've sold a house or two, and sometimes a champion agent just takes the easy cases.

Anyway, hope all's well for you and your family.

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
real estate agents have three interests in hierarchy of priority: (a) themselves; (b) the seller; and (c) the buyer.

(A) for sure. (B) and (C) depends on who they are contractually obligated to represent. In some jurisdictions it can be both.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It makes a lot more sense to me to leave it now, and remove it if and when a buyer wants as part of the closing contract, than vice versa. A lot of selling houses has to do with "vision". People get turned off by things they can't see (or see, but don't want to). It's easier to envision removing that door than it is to see it there when it isn't.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really disagree with her, but wanted to ask other architects, homeowners, real estate folks, your opinion. (Before you ask, there are 2 1/2 bathrooms downstairs, two full baths upstairs. We have 9 children in total, the youngest two [adopted] still at home.)

I've flipped 3 houses in the past and working on my 4th one right now. I also own 2 rentals. That's my creds.

I would leave the door to the hallway. As a rehabber, it's easier to close the door out after I buy the house versus build one in later. So a buyer's realtor, provider the realtor is good, can explain this. If the buyer wants the hallway entrance there, great. Then it's already there. If the buyer wants to close it off. It means some lumber and drywall work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would love the convenience of a door like that! I'd leave it. And I'd never walk away from a house/location/price I liked because of that small thing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I quit making changes to where I live for re-sale value only. In my previous place I did things mostly with thoughts of 'for re-sale value', but I never really enjoyed the place - it was so plain, neutral, had no character, and was a boring place to live for a dozen years.
Finally when I went to sell it, I did a lot of cleanup before selling, and wish I had those things the first time around. It made the place much more inviting and comfortable. So much, that I almost considered staying there because it was a nicer place to be then.
Now where I am, I do things because I want them done, without regards to re-sale. And this may be my forever home anyway.
If I do go to sell it, and people don't want what I've done, they can buy and change to what they want. Or buy and leave as it is - they're choice. Could it keep it from selling quick? Maybe. But there was a condo just like my last one that went up for sale 2 weeks after mine. Same model. There's was plain and boring. They did sell their place a couple weeks earlier, but for about $20,000 less I believe.

I might listen to the agent if it was related more to cultural related things, though. Mom and dad lived in an area that had a large/growing Asian population. My buddy who acted as their agent was/is Asian. He had many good suggestions on things to do that appealed to the Asian market - they sold quick, and at a really good price.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts