DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

OK to have 2 doors in Master Bathroom?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to completely gut and remodel our master bath. We've lived in our house for 16 years. Our master bath has two doors: one from our bedroom, and another that goes out to the hallway across from the laundry room, and adjacent to the side garage door. It's very handy, and my husband and I have both appreciated the accessibility of the laundry room, coming right in from the garage and able to get to our own bathroom easily, etc. My mother, who sold real estate for 35 years, AND who worked with my architect father for 20 years, also agrees that keeping the hall door is a good idea. However, my real estate agent INSISTS that I should remove the hall doorway, "for resale purposes" when we sell one day. I really disagree with her, but wanted to ask other architects, homeowners, real estate folks, your opinion. (Before you ask, there are 2 1/2 bathrooms downstairs, two full baths upstairs. We have 9 children in total, the youngest two [adopted] still at home.)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If you and your husband like it chances are that the next owner would like. Besides that, you may never sell. If you do you can cover it up then. Very easy to cover it up, not like having to put it in.

What makes you think your real estate agent is smarter than you.

·
Registered
10,922 Posts
I have noticed new owners making a LOT of changes when they buy. Removing that door, if they wanted to, is absolutely a non-issue. It works forr you so keep it.

I won't comment on that agent, I think you already know :(.

Bud

·
Naildriver
10,602 Posts
I don't do polls because the short answers don't explain everything. Forgive me. I agree with the others that the door should remain, and let the new owners do what they want with it. I can't help but comment on the agent. Sometimes their oars are in the water and sometimes they're not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, @Bud9051 !! Much appreciated!! I'm really trying to be objective here, do my homework & research, and look at all angles. Thanks for taking the time to reply. God bless!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hkstroud, I truly appreciate your input -- and I agree with you. (But I would have appreciated your input even if you didn't agree with me, haha!) Truly- thank you.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I would at least insist on an explanation 'why' from the agent first and it would really have to display some insight for me to even consider the request.

·
Naildriver
10,602 Posts
As an aside, back in the 80's when it was popular, my sister asked me to wallpaper her kitchen so it would "sell" better. I did. A day after closing, the new owner's first priority was to strip the walls in the kitchen.

I always encourage potential buyers to get their OWN inspector, not one suggested by the agent, and sellers to wait on a letter of contingency before they make any modifications to the house prior to sale.

Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Anyone who did not want the door could remove or simply lock it.

I would certainly keep it because of the quick entry function you described. Unlike a lot of airhead decorators I fully believe form follows function.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm on the other side in that I wouldn't like a second door into my private master bath. However, if ya'll like it then leave it and tell your real estate agent to stay in her lane.

IF you decide to sell down the road, covering up a doorway opening is fairly easy if you're just doing sheetrock on the bathroom walls. Might be a bit more cost to patch over if you're doing any tile work on the walls though.

·
Hammered Thumb
2,782 Posts
Well I guess I'll be the one to upset the apple cart here. You are gutting the bath, already have a realtor on board, and are asking the question here, so there is an inkling something's up.

A second door to a master bath, or any non-shared bath for that matter, is an oddity. Yes, you live how you want, anyone in the future can block it in, yadda yadda. Disregarding any "airheadness" or incompetency that this particular realtor might possess, most realtors have been in thousands of houses, know what buyers look for, and try to eliminate any reason a buyer might walk, if it can be rectified easily beforehand.

Reasons:
- a second door takes up a lot of floor and wall space. Usually, even when laying out a Jack-n-Jill bath that requires a 2nd door, it is difficult to make a seamless layout. When a potential buyer comes in, can they picture what will go there when they block it, because you had to compromise counter space or created an odd layout to accomodate the door?
- Master bath is considered a retreat. Not so much if there is sound, light, and access coming from a high-traffic hallway in the "backhouse" area. And remember that can be transferred from the bath to the hall as well.

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
Saying "my real estate agent" suggests you are getting ready to sell. People under contract to me can suggest anything they want; after all, you hire them supposedly for their expertise in their area of service. But unless they they are pointing out some legal requirement, they are simply suggestions (even at that, they still are - they aren't code enforcers). Unless it is a one-off and you are otherwise happy with them, I would either say 'think you for your input but . . .', otherwise find another agent.

I agree - the door should stay. It's absence or presence won't make a significant difference it the house's marketability. I've heard of brand new kitchens, renovated simply for sale, ripped out by the new owners.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I went with my granddaughter to look at some houses she liked and planned on buying soon. I saw this set up on several 'new' homes. I think your ahead of the curve. Keep the door.

Reactions: BeckyOK

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
@BeckyOK, I'd just leave the door as it is.

When the new owners move in, they can change it if they want to. For what? A couple or three hundred dollars?

Thanks to all the rest of you! I'm re-doing my house, and considering what to re-do and what to re-don't.

·
retired framer
38,857 Posts
In the 70s there were lot's of houses built with an extra door into the bathroom from the master. They often became a problem with friend of kids getting into the master and steeling things. The answer to that was a keyed lock to the master, then it was up to the parents to leave that door locked when not in use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would at least insist on an explanation 'why' from the agent first and it would really have to display some insight for me to even consider the request.
Her opinion was that a master bathroom ISN'T a "master bathroom" unless it's "private", meaning only one way in -- through the bedroom. Also, she wants me to take the door out, because it creates the ability to put a 60" double vanity. If I KEEP the door (which I've 99% decided I WILL), there's only room for a 54" single vanity (one sink, not two). I don't really mind that (I've been living with a 52" single vanity there for 16 years), but she thinks it makes a huge difference, again, in "resale value". I don't plan on moving for a few years, at least, and I want to enjoy my bathroom- AND my convenient traffic flow we have with both doors. What do you think? Worth losing the door to gain a 2nd sink? My husband and I never thought so.... we needed COUNTER space much more than a 2nd sink.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THANK YOU, Mike! That's very encouraging! Here's what the realtor said: Her opinion was that a master bathroom ISN'T a "master bathroom" unless it's "private", meaning only one way in -- through the bedroom. Also, she wants me to take the door out, because it creates the ability to put a 60" double vanity. If I KEEP the door (which I've 99% decided I WILL), there's only room for a 54" single vanity (one sink, not two). I don't really mind that (I've been living with a 52" single vanity there for 16 years), but she thinks it makes a huge difference, again, in "resale value". I don't plan on moving for a few years, at least, and I want to enjoy my bathroom- AND my convenient traffic flow we have with both doors. What do you think? Worth losing the door to gain a 2nd sink? My husband and I never thought so.... we needed COUNTER space much more than a 2nd sink.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts