DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing a re-model of my 2nd story. The electrical system is grossly undersized, so I am planning on updating it while I have the walls opened up. The house is a balloon frame, so I would like to run a few PVC conduit pipes from the attic to the basement to protect the cabling since I won't be able to fasten it to studs inside the 1st floor walls.

My questions are:
1. Is this an acceptable method?
2. What size conduit would be necessary for four 12/2 cables and two 14/2 cables?
3. Can I run them together in a single pipe, or would it be better to install several smaller conduit lines?

·
Licensed electrician
13,484 Posts
Fished cables are not required to be secured where inaccessible.

·
Registered
37,220 Posts
Has the incoming power line been up graded and a new panel been installed?
Some times it's easier to just add a sub panel on the second floor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The meter service is 200 amps, but the main panel is only 90. The entire 2nd floor including the bathroom is on one 15A circuit, so it needs to be split up into a few separate circuits. I'm planning on having a new 200A panel installed so I have room to put the extra circuits with the required AFCI breakers. I realize that fished cables don't have to be secured, but I'm planning on re-siding, and I'm concerned that the siding guys will shoot a nail into one of the cables.

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
The meter service is 200 amps, but the main panel is only 90.
Do you have electrical appliances or central AC?

Assuming you have gas/oil for furnace, stove, dryer, water heater, etc and are using electric only for the lights and receptacles... then your existing 90A should be fine. Might even be enough with the AC too.

The entire 2nd floor including the bathroom is on one 15A circuit, so it needs to be split up into a few separate circuits.
Your 2nd level needs ONE 20A circuit added. No more.

That circuit can be spread around as needed: GFI in the bathroom and a few other outlets in the other rooms. The existing circuits and outlets can/should be left alone.

If you have balloon framing it shouldn't be too hard to get it up to the attic level and then work with.

·
Licensed electrician
13,484 Posts
If the OP installs the 20 amp circuit for the bathroom it cannot be shared outside the bathroom. Another circuit would be needed.

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
If the OP installs the 20 amp circuit for the bathroom it cannot be shared outside the bathroom.
Another circuit would be needed.
I never said it was for the bathroom.

It's a suggestion for an add'l GP recep circuit...
with one of the several devices being in the bathroom.

OP: pull a 12/3 instead of a 12/2
If a safety weenie ever climbs up into the attic to check things
you can then isolate the bathroom receptacle from the others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts