DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to repaint my steel front door, that the PO left a stippled mess, though I'm not sure if it's latex or oil on there. It feels like an alkyd, and rubbing alcohol isn't taking more than a trace of color off of it.

My problem is what product(s) to use for the repaint? Five years ago I would've grabbed a can of exterior semigloss latex 'enamel' and had at it. But now I'm more aware of specialty coatings, and I'm a bit overwhelmed, really.

I've been considering, in no particular order:
-Waterborne urethane acrylic/alkyd (eg: SWP Emerald Trim enamel, BM Grand Entry)
-Waterborne alkyd (BM Advance)
-DTM Acrylic (eg Corotech)
-Regular, good quality, exterior acrylic latex (eg BM Regal Select Moorglo)

I'll be brushing or rolling, and want something that will lay out nice, though it doesn't need to fool anyone to think it was sprayed. Door is north facing, and mostly shady, so mildew is more of a concern than sun fading I think.

Any suggestions on which way to lean?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Grand entry would probably look the best. Super pricy though. You dont need DTM for a residential front door, although it would work.

I usually just put regular (quality) exterior paint on front doors. If you use some extender and a flocked foam roller or a 1/4" prodooz mohair roller or similar and lay it off really nice, it should look pretty good. It takes technique.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks woodco. I agree the price of GE is out there; OTOH, on a one and done exterior door it's ~$30 more than another quality paint for one qt, which I can justify if the results warrant it.

I've been getting results I'm pretty happy with brushing my interior doors using latex semigloss and floetrol, but then I made the mistake of inspecting some my father did at his place with BM Advance... And they're definitely a step above my results. Unfortunately, advance is only rated for exterior in high gloss, and that led down a rabbit hole of searching alternatives in semi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts