DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy coming into to do this for me,
One thing is concerning me though, obviously with these type of fridges you need to tap into a drinking water supply, however; the guy who is doing it said he was going to tap into the boilers cold water feed pipe and run all the pipe work into thw fridge from there as it is closer.

Somethings telling me you shouldnt really be tapping into anything near a boiler (whether its only cold water or not), plus is it even safe drinking water?
I could just be panicking and it may be common practice but please help for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
12,588 Posts
If he is tapping into the house side of the double check valve and not the boiler side you will be fine.
Request that he not use a piercing valve. He should install a regular water fitting instead-such as a soldered tee or "sharkbite" tee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah spoke with him, completely avoiding that idea, running a line from the upstairs sink through the ceiling as its directly above. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
Pierce valve at the water heater = basic, lowest cost (part and labor - and it is life time valve as long as it is left undisturbed)

Actual shut off valve = 10 times (exaggerated by me) part and labor

your inexperience that's directing the work = 100 times the basic work

Next time, take a deep breath and wait for answers, if finding yourself unable to trust the workers. I don't blame you for the distrust.

·
Banned
14,506 Posts
Pierce valve at the water heater = basic, lowest cost (part and labor - and it is life time valve as long as it is left undisturbed)
I have no issues with pierce valves at all. Done properly, they last decades. The mistake people make with them (as you so note) is bad location.

They sell pierce valves in home owner DIY kits complete with the tubing and I fully recommend them. It's cheap, easy, safe, and you don't need a plumber.

·
Premium Member
12,588 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I have no issues with pierce valves at all. Done properly, they last decades. The mistake people make with them (as you so note) is bad location.

They sell pierce valves in home owner DIY kits complete with the tubing and I fully recommend them. It's cheap, easy, safe, and you don't need a plumber.
I totally dis-agree with this statement these valves are known for one thing and that is failure. It is not a matter of if, It's a matter of when. Most will last a few years that's how they get away with selling them. I don't know of 1 plumber that will use them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.