DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 years ago, we had our crawlspace dug out and had a partial basement pit in. The contractor put in about 12 overhead can lights with small spot lights. As they started buring out, I started replacing them with the newer CFL. The 12 light fixtures are broken down to three seperate switches so we can control what area is lit.

The problem I'm run into is many times they blink rapidly. We don't have any ceiling fans or other electrical items that I would expect would through off any interference that would cause the blinking. Sometimes in the morning, I'll go in the basement with no other lights or electrical items turned on and they will still blink. I've tried replacing them with different brands but can resolve this problem. Your suggestions are appreciated.

·
JOATMON
15,307 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere.

At this point I think you need to use a voltmeter to measure the voltage. You want at least 110Vac at the socket....with 120 being the norm.

This is also a case where an analog meter is better than a digital....an old analog will show you any voltage variations better than a digital will.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
But the incandescent lamps do not blink? Is it rythmic or sporatic; and do they all blink in unison?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the incandesent bulbs have been replaced as they burned out. i'll replace one and check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I replaced one CFL in each leg of lights with an incandesant so the CFL's now each gave a regular bulb and they stopped blinking. It could be a coincidence, bit I will check tomorrow and let you know the status.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Ok, I replaced one CFL in each leg of lights with an incandesant so the CFL's now each gave a regular bulb and they stopped blinking. It could be a coincidence, bit I will check tomorrow and let you know the status.
Any chance the switch you have there is dimmer if so that is the curpit otherwise some case you may have crossed connection.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Light circuits with just CFL's on them and several of them
can sometimes do weird things,
Could be standing waves or some strange resonance effect,
Usually putting some standard incandesants on the same circuit
will cure the problem.

·
JOATMON
15,307 Posts
Any chance the switch you have there is dimmer if so that is the curpit otherwise some case you may have crossed connection.

Merci,
Marc
Good thought.....

How many lights per ckt? And are all the ckt's fed from the same breaker?

I think we are still back to needing to measure the voltage.....and incandescent will not tell you if your voltage is low....it still lights...but not as bright as it should be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dmxtothemax said:
Light circuits with just CFL's on them and several of them
can sometimes do weird things,
Could be standing waves or some strange resonance effect,
Usually putting some standard incandesants on the same circuit
will cure the problem.
I agree. Maybe you have a problem on the neutral. Could be a multiwire circuit with a common neutral. Possibly a loose neutral?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts